PDA

View Full Version : Sav-2 and Bolt Release Question

Pastprime
06-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Need a confirmation that if I install a TBR sear I can install a Sav-2 in my model 11 that now has a BBR. I've been reading about doing the change and don't see any problems I can't deal with. I have someone who can mill the right side of my receiver and I'll remove enough material from the stock to provide clearance. Do I need a different trigger guard also?? Anything I'm not thinking about.

Hank

Robinhood
06-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Should be a smooth install. If you have any trouble there is an answer.

Pastprime
06-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Should be a smooth install. If you have any trouble there is an answer.

Like most things I try, I've hit a snag before I got started. Got my gunsmith all lined up and went to Numrich site to order the TBR. Just my luck, they are out of stock. I looked at a bunch of other Savage models and all were out also. I placed a WTB ad in the classifieds here, but if anyone knows of a source for the top bolt release I'd appreciate a heads-up. At least I didn't order the trigger yet....:rolleyes:.

Hank

futurerider103
06-09-2017, 05:16 PM
If you don't want to machine the side of your receiver you could also bend the lever side of the sear for the bolt release

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Robinhood
06-09-2017, 06:12 PM
If you don't want to machine the side of your receiver you could also bend the lever side of the sear for the bolt release

This is really a hack. No offense.

OP, contact Savage for the sear.

futurerider103
06-09-2017, 06:16 PM
How is it a hack? You aren't changing the sear angle or anything just the lever

Robinhood
06-09-2017, 06:37 PM
I offer a different view than you do. Please don't take it personal but I don't think bending something to fit a firearm is an idea that is worthy of promoting(Sorry Dean). You take your barrel nut off with a hammer and chisel. I would advise anyone against that. You can bend your sear if you want. I will not promote that and I will openly state that I think your method of modifying a firearm is not in the best interest of the firearm or its owner.

Ask yourself this. If someone was working on you car and they got out a hammer and a chisel or they started bending on something that was not designed to fit your make and/or model so they could make it work. How do you feel about that?

Being on forums for a long time you see many examples of people that should not be working on Firearms and the aftermath of their work. You learn to gravitate towards the ones that do things "right" and to discourage the things that are not consistent with proper gun repair/modification practice.

Again, no offense just my viewpoint. I hope my explanation helps you understand my position.

P.S. I am OK with you headspacing your barrel with a sized case though.

futurerider103
06-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I'll give my point.
I am by profession a mechanic and it is common to remove a nut with a hammer and chisel(normally the nut is stripped and essentially in this case it is since it's round). What do you think you're doing when using a spanner nut wrench on any other barrel
And one again since you aren't modifying the sear angle you aren't altering any of the functioning components of the gun.

Pastprime
06-09-2017, 07:14 PM
This is really a hack. No offense.

OP, contact Savage for the sear.

I'll give them a call. I read some where that they would not sell that part to an individual. Hopefully, that is not the case.

Thanks.

J.Baker
06-09-2017, 07:16 PM
I'll give my point.
I am by profession a mechanic and it is common to remove a nut with a hammer and chisel(normally the nut is stripped and essentially in this case it is since it's round). What do you think you're doing when using a spanner nut wrench on any other barrel
And one again since you aren't modifying the sear angle you aren't altering any of the functioning components of the gun.

You're welcome to do what you like to your own guns, that's your prerogative. However, we (the staff here) are tasked with making sure the information shared here is accurate, correct, and most importantly safe. If there's a proper way to do something, that's the method we promote - not the Bubba Gump School of Gunsmithing method. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the right or smart way to do it.

Clearly you are mechanically inclined and have a background in working on things so you're able to make those determinations for yourself. Many of the people coming here aren't so inclined and have very limited knowledge on Savage rifles or guns in general, and they come here specifically to find accurate and useful information on how to properly (and safely) work on their gun. Suggestions such as this one do nothing but muddy the waters and make our (the staff's) task that much harder because now 500+ uninformed people who don't know any better are going to read it, take it as the gospel as how to do it, then perpetuate that bad info every chance they get on this and other forums.

Robinhood
06-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Edit: I did not see Jim's post so I am a little redundant.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Touche' ! You do have a mechanical aptitude at least. I have seen many instances posted where people have done irreversible damage to actions because of their inexperience following someones advice where the confidence of the amateur Savage Smith making it sound so easy to remove a barrel or this or that. If Fred will chime in, I remember some pictures he showed us and others posted of messed up receivers twisted, bent and the recoil lug alignment pin ripped away. After seeing this for the last 15 years and repairing some of them, I show more caution with which methods I promote than some people would. Truth is lots of people can work on savages, Lots of people shouldn't be working on a bicycle. An example....

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi51.tinypic.com%2F2vxk8iq.jpg&f=1

To put my opinions in context, I am a rotating equipment(Turbine, gearbox, centrifugal compressor/pump etc...) repair machinist with 35 years experience. I make my living fixing things that hammer mechanics with good intentions damage. The first thing I take away from a trainee is their hammer.

I think Pastprime(the OP) was on target with his take on how the conversion should be done.

....Didn't really intend on hijacking the thread or hurting anyone's feelings.

J.Baker
06-09-2017, 07:53 PM
I'll give them a call. I read some where that they would not sell that part to an individual. Hopefully, that is not the case.

Thanks.

Tell them you'd be willing to sign a liability waver. I know for awhile that was the get-around for the "gunsmith only" parts, but not sure if that's still the case.

Pastprime
06-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Tell them you'd be willing to sign a liability waver. I know for awhile that was the get-around for the "gunsmith only" parts, but not sure if that's still the case.

I plan to call them Monday and ask for one. I'll post the results here. If it is a "gunsmith only" part that will not be an issue. The gentleman doing the receiver milling will order one for me if necessary.

Hank

Deadshot2
06-10-2017, 11:14 AM
I believe I read somewhere along the way that the Top Bolt Release is rather difficult to bend without breaking. As I recall it's hardened as it's part of the actual sear. In some cases parts can be bent so they will work in different applications but hardened materials just don't do so very well.

futurerider103
06-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Many have bent that hardened part without any problems and it's been documented before

J.Baker
06-11-2017, 01:01 AM
...then perpetuate that bad info every chance they get on this and other forums.

Many have bent that hardened part without any problems and it's been documented before

You just proved my point.

olddav
06-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Honestly I like a little creativity, but you have to know when an experiment is going bad. Considering that the result of ones efforts could result in the maiming of ones self or others, then perhaps the creative modification of firearms is not in your best interest.

All the "ones" and "your" are general terms and not references to any one living or dead, who may or may not be on this forum!

Pastprime
06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
I called Savage Arms this morning and asked if I could buy a top bolt release sear for a 110 action. I was told that they would only sell me one if the serial number I gave them was for a rifle that originally had a TBR sear. So, I called back a little later and gave them the serial number of my model 12 which came with a TBR sear. The technician said I could order the part, but they needed either a copy of my FFL or a signed release from liability form on file before they could complete the sale. A copy of the form was emailed to me. I completed it and emailed it back. I was told that as soon as they received it, I would receive a call and we could complete the sale. All this took place about 11:00 a.m. I had not received a call from them yet. Hopefully, I'll hear from them tomorrow.

Hank

Update: 06/13/17 -- I called Savage again this morning a learned that the lady I sent the email to yesterday is not in today, but the lady who answered took care of everything for me and the TBR sear is on order.