PDA

View Full Version : New Edge stock help

Rut-n-Bull
08-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm a newbie to this forum. Just joined,cause I need some help...

My 8 yr old smoked the Hunter Ed Course and got his so I surprised him with a reward for doing such a great job... A new Edge. I had my son shoulder a model 11 combo at the local BiMart and it looked like a good fit, but I found a better value in buying him the new Edge vs the model 11. I guess I didn't do enough research when I bought the edge. While the barrel is the same length (22") the overall length is 1.125 longer. When I gave him the rifle, yesterday, I was surprised that it was a little too big for him. Grrr my bust. I shouldn't have assumed and looked closer at the details. I like the Edge and think it will be a good first rife. This is my 1st Savage purchase so I'm not very familiar.

Questions - #1 What is the little square on top of the stock, just forward of the butt pad? Its there for some reason, just not sure what it is? It can be pushed down a little.

#2 - can this stock be trimmed down? I have access to high strength epoxies and have mechanical appitude/tooling..

Its too early in the edge life to find aftermarket stocks. I imagine that will change later, so not too worried about getting a new stock at some later date. I just don't want to screw this one up and be in a pickle... We have about a month before deer season, so like to get this corrected..

thanks

Rut n bull

sharpshooter
08-30-2010, 01:54 AM
That little square thing is part of the recoil pad retention system. To remove the pad you must unscrew the swivel stud, then tip the pad off. Can you shorten it??...sure, but it will not be easy. Don't count on anyone making aftermarket stocks, they are complicated for that rifle. You'd be better off with the model 11, atleast it's upgradable.

dolomite_supafly
08-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Or another option is to buy a Stevens. They can be had for less than $300 now or less than $200 if you catch them on sale. They are basically a Savage without the Accutrigger and as such all the aftermarket support for 10/110 series Savages should be a drop in affair. Drop in stocks, triggers as well as barrels are readily available for the Stevens and standard Savage.

There has also been a lot of Savage package deals showing up lately. I recently found a Accutrigger Savage chambered in .308 with a 3x-9x scope on it for either $329 or $379. Either price is a great value and would allow new shooter to get into the game without spending a lot of money.

In all likelyhood there isn't going to be a lot of aftermarket support for the Edge because of its price and the market it is geared towards. Most people who are going to buy the Edge are looking for the cheapest gun to buy that fills their needs. Those same people generally are not going to put more money into the gun if they don't have to. The Edge is a great value for the new shooter but what you get yet leaves a lot to be desired as far as aftermarket support.

The Stevens also filled the cheap rifle niche but it is able to use the same aftermarket parts designed for standard Savages because of commonality of parts. This can not be said for the Edge.

Dolomite

Rut-n-Bull
09-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks... Guess I should have done some more research before.... Anyway, I'm handy with things so was able to trim off an inch and reshape the butt pad. It's all good now. You can barely tell its been modified. On to sighting it in...

I was a little shocked to find that Savage will sell replacements... Might as well by another rifle.. Good God.. I have no idea that the stock represented half the cost of the gun....Crazy... 105.00 for replacement stock (doesn't include shipping)... I bought the rifle for 239.00...

Thanks for the input.. It motivated me to modify and it turned out pretty good. I shortened it, but not so short that when he grows up, it will be too short..

Rut-n-Bull

ellobo
09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Good thinking and good job. Just make sure the barrel is free floated and it should be a good shooter as most Savages are. Loosen the mounting screws, put a pc of matchbook card stock under the barrel and tighten the strews. That should center the barrel in the channel. If it still touches sand out the offending part of the stock. Pass a pc. of paper under the barrel to make sure it is really free floated.
El Lobo

Rut-n-Bull
09-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Good tip. thanks...

Ran some rounds through it yesterday.. After the barrel break in (which I used to get zero in), I was able to get three sets up sub MOA (Barely MOA, but MOA none the less) on the bench. My son ran through some rounds too and it was nice... His grouping was more in the 4-5" range, but we have some work to do on the trigger pull...

Used UMC 150 grs to get close.. Gonna load up some 110 grs at about 1900 fps, so this will make a very light recoil rifle that should be fine for deer. When the boy gets some meat on those bones, we'll be able to load some 180 gr elk loads.... Anyway, I'm no Carlos Hathcock, but was pleased with the results.. We'll fine tune it with the lighter loads and let the boy gets some rounds down range and build some confidence.. He is spot on with a rimfire, so hope he transitions well. Overall nice 1st hunting rifle. I have no regrets. I had to work in the wheat fields to save up to buy my first hunting rifle.. I've always been a Remington man, but have been impressed with Savage line for some time. Often a overlooked, under appreciated rifle... I sure the **** wasn't gonna give my money to some overseas producer. Overall pleased... Can't wait to lay it across a nice buck with the boy in the photo...

Thanks for the tips and input...

Rut-n-bull