PDA

View Full Version : I love this rifle!

ctrout
08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, it's been about 2 and a half years since I started accumulating parts for my 338 Edge. I finished putting it together about a year ago and until today, I had only put a few rounds through it to get a feel for recoil and such. I hadn't even shot it at anything but a backstop. I took it out today just to get it on paper so I loaded up 9 rounds of R-P brass with 95 grains of H1000, Federal large rifle match primers, and a 250gr SMK. I neglected to use a chronograph so I don't have any velocities. At 25 yards, the first shot went over the top of the target I was shooting at so I brought it down about 30 clicks and the second shot hit paper 2" high and about 2" left. I got the windage dialed in with two more shots so I had 5 rounds left. I cleaned the bore (still breaking it in) and moved to the 100yd bench. 1st round went over the backstop again so I adjusted the scope by 8". second shot had good elevation so I decided that I was close enough at this point to use my last three rounds for a three shot group. The very first three shot group that I have ever shot with this rifle measured... drum roll please... .337"!!!! I am very excited to get this gun really shooting and see what it will do at 600 and 1000. I've never shot beyond 300 at the range before.

pdog06
08-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Sweet.. Glad it is shootin for you.

I remember when you built this thing and wondered how it shot.

ctrout
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
There will definitely be more to come on this rifle. I found a great spot today where ranges beyond 2000yds are easily possible.

Dennis
09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
So you took a Savage 300RUM and basically use the action and ended up with a 338 Edge?

Uncle Jack
09-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Be careful when you start shooting for distance. It is addictive and there is no known cure. If you thought you may have been a little anal compulsive about your handloading before, you have no clue as to what lays ahead as you start worrying about groups at 600+ yards.

I will say a prayer for you tonight, although I doubt it will help.

uj

ctrout
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm waiting to get a 223AI barrel back from Sinman right now. It will be my inexpensive stopgap to the longrange bug. I plan on working up a nice 75gr Amax load for it to shoot out to 600 or so to practice for my 1000+ yard shooting. I love recoil though too so I'm sure the Edge will see some time on the bench too.