PDA

View Full Version : Pillar Install Questions

celltech
06-04-2017, 08:17 AM
So I have 3 Axis' in various Boyd's stocks. I got all spunky one weekend and lightly bedded all the actions with JB Weld. They all fit in nice and snug and 2 of the 3 are easily sub MOA shooters. But the .308 was just not quite there. So I noticed that crappy plastic front pillar that Boyd gives you was all smashed and starting to crack, so I took the plunge and ordered some V3 Tactical metal hardware. Seems a tad $$$, but very nice stuff.

So my question...since I already bedded the action first, is there really a need to glue the pillar hardware in, other than to keep it from falling out when I pull the screws? I ground down the parts till they just start to touch as the screws are torqued down I must say that metal on metal contact really does give it a nice solid feel.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-04-2017, 08:39 AM
The bedding AND the pillars should act as a one piece unit. I do mine in two steps. First the pillars secured to the bottom of the action with the action properly spaced from the stock. After that's set up, (could be a day or two, DON'T RUSH IT!!) I'll go back and finish the bedding job. And spacing the action is important. You need barrel and tang clearance. Do it first and you won't have any problems later.

Then, if you really want to get inventive, drop a V Block in it.

olddav
06-04-2017, 09:33 AM
I agree^^^^
I do however install both in one step, but that is not your best option at this point.