PDA

View Full Version : Options for a stock on a model 111 Staggered Feed DBM rifle

RCThrash
06-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Hello all,

I've spent quite a bit of time reading through various posts on the forum. I also read through the FAQs. Here's what I've come up with.

I have a Savage 111 (7mm Rem Mag) so LA, RH, Staggered Feed, DBM rifle. The magazine release is on the right side of the stock. I understand that the spacing on the set screws is 5.062". The rifle is also a "G" series so according to the dating information on the forum it is from the early 2000s.

What I want to know is, what stock should I go with and why? I picked up the rifle for less than 150$ and am not looking on spending more than 250$ on the stock. I'm currently leaning towards the Boyd's classic laminate stock just because it's the only one I can find that lists all of those aforementioned specifications. I really want to avoid purchasing a stock for the wrong rifle! I will be using this rifle for deer hunting and plan on glass bedding the barrel.

Your thoughts and or comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjtfroggy
06-04-2017, 06:04 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but you bought the wrong gun for what you want to do.
There are no after market stocks made for this rifle, unless you can find a custom stock maker $$$. There are three options leave it as is or convert it to a blind mag, or send it out for after market bottom metal and mag conversion.
On another point most find that these guns are much more accurate with a free floated barrel with only the action pillared and bedded
Oh just thought of option 4 sell it and start over.

RCThrash
06-04-2017, 06:27 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but you bought the wrong gun for what you want to do.
There are no after market stocks made for this rifle, unless you can find a custom stock maker $$$. There are three options leave it as is or convert it to a blind mag, or send it out for after market bottom metal and mag conversion.
On another point most find that these guns are much more accurate with a free floated barrel with only the action pillared and bedded
Oh just thought of option 4 sell it and start over.

Hey no worries about "bursting my bubble." I'm new to savages and okay with being wrong about things. On the Boyd's web page it has options for a model 111 long action stock with a side release for the mag. I understand there will be some fitting necessary, but am I missing something that will make this stock not fit my rifle?

I am also not opposed to converting it to a blind mag and will definitely look into that option.

I'll also look into the point you made about the free floated barrel. Thanks for the input!

rjtfroggy
06-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Read the stock description again, I believe it is bolt release not mag. I can't remember any side bolt release made by anyone in a long, long time.

RCThrash
06-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Read the stock description again, I believe it is bolt release not mag. I can't remember any side bolt release made by anyone in a long, long time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170604/71a131252225e0e4beeeae6a4a0cae3f.jpg

Here's what I'm seeing on the webpage.

RCThrash
06-04-2017, 09:20 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170604/b1b8ccf51960a2ccb798100956475ea2.jpg

Here's a picture of the bolt release and the magazine release. I thought this was referred to as a top bolt release, but I'm definitely a newbie and realize I may be wrong. I do appreciate you're help. If the Boyd's stock isn't gonna fit I'd rather find out here first.

Robinhood
06-04-2017, 04:00 PM
I was in the RTJ camp bu.........t the image you posted looks correct. Removing some of the DBM hardware to make it a blind mag is not a bad modification either. Good luck.

rjtfroggy
06-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Before I ordered a stock from anyone I would be on the phone with them making 1000% sure of their description.
I had 2 mod. 11's both side release and there was no after market stocks made. They are now blind mags in Boyd's thumbhole stocks.

RCThrash
06-05-2017, 07:35 AM
10-4 on that sentiment Froggy. On the Boyd's site there isn't an option for the S/A mod 11's in a side release, but there is one for the L/A 111. I'm considering whether I want to keep the detachable mag at all. As a hunting rifle I'm not sure why I'd need a detachable mag, and I also really don't like the little plastic button. Seems like it'd just be one more thing that could bust and ruin a hunting trip.

rjtfroggy
06-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Main reason I converted mine I was hunting one morning and when I got to my tree stand guess what no mag= end of hunt for the day. I couldn't even retrace my path in because I zig zaged my way in, in the dark.
Needless to say I will never own a detachable mag rifle again.