PDA

View Full Version : It's Finally Done - Savage 110 BA Re-Build

rbtcam95
06-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Well it took awhile, but it is finally done and ready to shoot.

It started out as your off the shelf Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua mag. Now the only thing left that is Savage is the action.

Before the re-build started3228

After the re-build is complete3229

Here is the list of components including ammo/test load data.

Savage 110 338 LM action, action trued before new barrel installed
Rock Creek 5R Barrel with 9.4 twist, 1.340" shank for 4 inches tapering to .900 at 30 inches, with 5 port extreme muzzle brake and Spiral fluting. All work on barrel was done by Nathan Dagley and he built the muzzle brake.
Holland .250 recoil lug
Choate Tactical Stock with extra spacers for correct LOP, weight added to hollow butt stock which includes a Graco mercury filled recoil reducer. Added about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. to over all weight. It helped with balance as well.
Action, recoil lug, and 1" of barrel bedded
Choate Tall cheek Rest
CDI Precision Bottom Metal
CDI precision Single Shot Loading Block
Harris bipod with pod-lok
Rifle Basix SAV II Trigger, set at 10 ozs
Ken Farrell 30 MOA rail
Nightforce 6 screw rings
Nightforce top ring cap scope level
Nightforce angle degree indicator
Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x56, with sunshade
Completed Rifle as shown in photo is weighing in at 20 lbs., 8.8 ozs.

Ammo to be used will be reloads, using Lapua brass, hornady 285 grain bthp, federal 215M primers, Hodgdon H1000 powder, and starting OAL will be set at 3.808 which is right at 20 thousandths off the lands and grooves. Hoping for some decent results due to additional powder capacity with the bullet being seated further out, and longer barrel length. Loads for testing will start at 90.5 grains and go up to 95 grains, but all will be dependent on any kind of pressure signs along the way. All test loads will be fired thru an Oehler 35P chronograph for proving data.

Hope it all goes well and shoots bug holes along ways out.

Brad

drybean
06-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
let us know how she shoots

Chrazy-Chris
06-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Wow what a project! Awesome. What do you think your max range will be? I'm guessing about 2 Kilometers? That barrel/stock combo looks great. Is bedding a little bit of the barrel something special for big boy calibers or does it have more to do with just having such a long/heavy barrel?

scooterf79
06-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Looks really good! Can't wait to see your results.....I love seein a newly completed rifle!
Scooter

rbtcam95
06-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks gentleman for the compliments. I appreciate that. Was able to get out to the grasslands on Monday the 5th to run about 40 rounds of test loads through it.

Chrazy Chris : I am not sure at this point what the max range will be until I really get finished with load testing and load selection. It should be a ways out there though. The reason I added some bedding under the first inch of barrel, was like you said because that barrel is pretty long and pretty heavy.

Conditions on Monday June 5th, 2017:
Temp : 75.5 deg increasing to 84 by end of shooting session.
Wind Speed : 15 mph sustained, gusting from 15 up to 20
Wind Direction : From 9 to 3
Humidity : 46.1
Dew Point: 53.0
Barometric Pressure : 29.57
Elevation : 2460 ft

Equipment used during testing = Kestrel 4500NV, Oehler 35P Chronograph.

Test Load Components : Brass - Lapua, Powder : Hodgdon H1000, Primer - Federal 215M, Bullet - Hornady 285 grain BTHP.

All shot strings were 5 rounds each. Except for the 92.0 grain load. this string was only 4 rounds due to one round not wanting to chamber correctly.

Powder Charges/loads tested,
1) 90.5 grns - average velocity = 2835 fps
2) 91.0 grns - average velocity = 2852 fps
3) 91.5 grns - average velocity = 2861 fps
4) 92.0 grns - average velocity = 2875 fps
5) 92.5 grns - average velocity = 2884 fps
6) 93.0 grns - average velocity = 2899 fps
7) 93.5 grns - average velocity = 2928 fps
8) 94.0 grns - average velocity = 2945 fps
9) 94.5 grns - did not get to shoot this load due to incoming lightning storm
10) 95.0 grns - did not get to shoot this load due to incoming lightning storm

After each shot string was fired, each case was examined to see if there was any signs of pressure in, on, and or around the primer and or the case. So far, as of the last string fired which is 94 grains, there was not any signs of pressure yet.

The photo is of the target I used on Monday. My first shot string was 90.5 grains and it was in the middle of the target. The next shot string is 91 grains and it is in the upper left hand corner. All the remaining shot strings follow sequentially in a clock wise rotation. Each different powder charge / shot string is circled and marked with the powder charge next to the circle or in the circle.

I will admit I had my fair share of issues while shooting these strings of test loads. To include issues with a moving rear rest, wind, etc... I was shooting off a very stable portable shooting table but I did fuss with the wind and the rear rest a bit trying to keeps cross hairs on the target where I wanted them. The one saving grace I had was the trigger was set at 8ozs, and that helped immensely. I am pretty sure I can tighten these groups up by addressing the rear rest issue, and maintaining a more consistent natural point of aim. I feel that I was probably trying to add some slight muscle adjustments in there at times with the rear rest moving around on me.

Please feel free to review the target and each group on it and provide me with any and all input if you see something in the groups that jumps out at you whereby I could maybe do differently and help to tighten these groups up abit. I would greatly appreciate it. I am loading more ammo in the same powder charges and same number of rounds per charge so that I can go back again in a couple of days and do this test sequence all over from the start. This time though I will be shooting using a much more stable rear rest, and the wind is not supposed to be as bad.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice