PDA

View Full Version : Why no long target actions?

JeepsAndGuns
08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I was looking through savages website at their actions and noticed that they only offer target actions in short. How come?
What about us who may want to build something that wont fit in a short action?

pdog06
08-29-2010, 08:59 PM
build it anyway, and just pull the bolt to remove a live round...

They actually do make one on the 338 Lapua BAT/S, but do not sell it seperate from the complete rifle.

Nefarioud
08-29-2010, 11:52 PM
build it anyway, and just pull the bolt to remove a live round...

They actually do make one on the 338 Lapua BAT/S, but do not sell it seperate from the complete rifle.

What he said :)

Give 'em time on the BA actions the just got the guns out.

Or check out the Shilen actions they use a barrel nut too!!!

82boy
08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I was looking through savages website at their actions and noticed that they only offer target actions in short. How come?
What about us who may want to build something that wont fit in a short action?

It is called supply and demand. If Savage is not going to sell a few thousand they are not going to mess with building it.

sinman
08-31-2010, 07:04 PM
the question I have is "Do you need to build off a target action?" There are tons of savages built out there off of std actions that shoot extremely well

AVanGorder
09-01-2010, 07:18 AM
the question I have is "Do you need to build off a target action?" There are tons of savages built out there off of std actions that shoot extremely well

Nope, it doesn't "need" to be on a target action. I have 14 Savages. My most accurate is probably on a 15 year old action. This action is the older, flat back, pre-accutrigger. It isn't stock, it does have a match grade barrel and a tuned up SAV-2 trigger on it.

BUT - If you are starting from zero and buying an action, I would go with the Target action. It is stronger and has a better trigger. However, if the round you are choosing to use requires a long action then that will dictate your choice of actions.

Adrian

JeepsAndGuns
09-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Yea my current rifle is built on a standard long action. No problems or complaints, and shoots awesome.
I was just thinking if I was to ever build another one in the future, I would kinda like a target action, but oh well, I will just stick with the standard action. They are cheaper anyways. :)
Thanks for the replys.