PDA

View Full Version : MSR15: An MSR article is coming.

Charleslv
06-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Just finished a review. There is good and bad and lots of interesting bits. Overall a nice firearm that I had a blast testing. We will also posting the rifle for sale soon.

509airborne
06-01-2017, 10:10 PM
When? I ordered a 308 and still waiting for it. Which one(s) did you review.

Charleslv
06-02-2017, 01:05 PM
I just got done doing the MSR 15 Patrol. (note there are two version the one I did is the later with the forward assist)

I know the MSR 10 are hard to come by I have a request for one in both 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 to review and they told me after summer.

J.Baker
06-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Delay on the MSR 10's is due to delays on parts from outside suppliers.

509airborne
06-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Delay on the MSR 10's is due to delays on parts from outside suppliers. What parts are coming from outside suppliers?

J.Baker
06-06-2017, 02:13 AM
What parts are coming from outside suppliers?

Ummm....I would guess most all of them. The lower MSR10 and MSR15 receivers are proprietary, but I'm sure they're getting them from an outside vendor as they don't do any forging at Savage. Not sure if there's anything unique about the upper receiver, but either way it's probably coming from the same source as the lower. The MSR10's receivers are Savage's own compact design, but the MSR10 Hunter is still forged so its going to be made by someone else. The MSR10 Long Range has a billet lower that may be machined in house, but most likely it's outsourced as well.

Most of the other bits are mil-spec or from Blackhawk's catalog (also under the Vista banner) and are going to be outsourced. The MSR10 BCG would be the only possible exception since it's shorter than a standard AR10 BCG, but I would be willing to be it's outsourced to.

In other words, for the most part Savage is doing more assembling than they are manufacturing on these. Why spend the money and hire employees to make all these new parts yourself when there are existing companies that already specialize in making them?

509airborne
06-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Ummm....I would guess most all of them. The lower MSR10 and MSR15 receivers are proprietary, but I'm sure they're getting them from an outside vendor as they don't do any forging at Savage. Not sure if there's anything unique about the upper receiver, but either way it's probably coming from the same source as the lower. The MSR10's receivers are Savage's own compact design, but the MSR10 Hunter is still forged so its going to be made by someone else. The MSR10 Long Range has a billet lower that may be machined in house, but most likely it's outsourced as well.

Most of the other bits are mil-spec or from Blackhawk's catalog (also under the Vista banner) and are going to be outsourced. The MSR10 BCG would be the only possible exception since it's shorter than a standard AR10 BCG, but I would be willing to be it's outsourced to.

In other words, for the most part Savage is doing more assembling than they are manufacturing on these. Why spend the money and hire employees to make all these new parts yourself when there are existing companies that already specialize in making them?

That makes sense.

Charleslv
10-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Article is up and running. Check it out.

shoots100
10-29-2017, 05:26 PM
I look forward to reading the review, as I have to live through others that live in free states and are allowed to own un neutered semiautomatic rifles.
SJC