PDA

View Full Version : MSR10: Pretty quiet on the MSR front...

J.Baker
06-01-2017, 11:46 AM
According to my contact at Vista Outdoor the MSR's have been selling extremely well, so why is it so darn quiet in here?

sharpshooter
06-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Probably because their market share is about .001%, and everyone is getting "AR burnout".

Trenton91
06-01-2017, 11:54 AM
According to my contact at Vista Outdoor the MSR's have been selling extremely well, so why is it so darn quiet in here?
When you think Savage, you don't think ARs. However, I've looked at them and they look nice. Then again, so did the Rugers until we tried to put an M16 sear in it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JeepsAndGuns
06-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Probably because they are a AR style rifle, so therefore people go to AR specific forums.
That is my guess anyways.

J.Baker
06-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Probably because they are a AR style rifle, so therefore people go to AR specific forums.

Kind of what I figure as well, hence the reason for this post. Gotta do what we can to keep the discussion here. Yes they are essentially AR's and this is a Savage site that's probably 90%+ bolt gun oriented, but I guarantee you that the vast majority here also own AR's and a good majority of those have built their AR's so no need to go elsewhere for answers. Can't grow and expand the scope of this site if everyone's running off to other sites.

psharon97
06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I think a lot of companies were thinking the Hillary was going to win, hence the artificially increased demand in AR and AK platform rifles and why nearly every company was developing these rifles. I think now, you'll start seeing more demand for specialty rifles and handguns. Now that folks are trying to snatch up every AR they see, they'll start building and buying higher end rifles, pistols and shotguns. I've noticed that the prices for ARs and Aks have fallen drastically. I can get an AR cheaper than I can for a mini-14.

That's my .02

Mr.Hollywood
06-06-2017, 05:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUCh-xiETeY&t=894s

509airborne
06-06-2017, 08:01 PM

The MSR15's have reviews and appear to be selling well. I can barely find any real reviews for the MSR10 from regular people and not from companies or "pro" gun writers.

Mr.Hollywood
06-07-2017, 10:42 AM
The MSR15's have reviews and appear to be selling well. I can barely find any real reviews for the MSR10 from regular people and not from companies or "pro" gun writers.

Likely a reflection on how many have actually made their way into the wild....

Cover Dog
06-17-2017, 10:14 PM
I picked up a Recon this week. Just tonight I put my HawkEye borescope in the barrel and to my surprise it is the best looking factory Savage barrel I have ever seen. Will fire next week and then try it with an Echo Trigger.

JASmith
06-18-2017, 10:26 AM

For Mr. Furious -- This post shows a lot of insight and indirectly offers a suggestion.

Right now, this forum has several sections for what I describe as modern firearms in the classic style.

Personally, I would like to see some good discussions about the MSR series from folks who use Savage rifles. Those will help me, for one, better understand where the MSR really fits in our hunting and target shooting worlds.

Adding a forum with a title like "Savage Modern Sporting Rifles" with a small number of sub-forums like "MSR 10" and "MSR 15" might encourage the conversations while keeping the Savage focus. I would place it just above "Center Fire Rifles" to better capture attention and encourage posts.

J.Baker
06-18-2017, 05:22 PM
If/when the traffic is there to warrant it I would consider doing such, but as of now that's simply not the case. This board does the exact same thing as what you're suggesting other than splitting the 10's and 15's into two separate boards under another board. Why create two additional boards when the one we have doesn't even get any traffic?

Right now the MSR10's Hunters are spotty at best as far as availability, and the Long Range model hasn't even started shipping yet last I checked. I think that's what everyone is really waiting for as that's the one that's more special, more unique. The MSR15, though unique in it's own right, is still just a run of the mill AR15 with Savage's name on it. Most everybody already has one or more AR15's, and if they do go out and buy the Savage they're going to their established reference forums (AR15.com, M4Carbine.net, etc.). I don't expect this board to take off like gangbusters with so many dedicated sites out there for such rifles, but at the time I started this thread it was crickets in here - barely even a random question about availability dates.

RustyShackle
07-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I guess I'll chime in on this and include my perspective, although not sure what it's worth.

Generally if you're looking for specific information regarding a platform(firearm) that you own and searching the web in an attempt to gather it, you will land at a site that specializes or caters to that. The AR is a lego rifle. Mostly everything is interchangeable and built to a certain standard. In this case, any generic AR site probably has the most relevant information.

What this will boil down to other than savage aficionados, is that, this site will have to offer something that the others don't. Either specialized knowledge or another incentive. Figure that out and you'll be in business.

Cheers!

foxx
07-01-2017, 07:46 PM
I have a couple (not Savage).

Shot them a few times, did not like them. Put in aftermarket triggers. Still don't care for them. Tried different sighting systems and scopes. Don't like them any more than before. Now they rest in the corner of a couple different rooms and I am hoarding ammo in case SHTF, hoping I never touch them again.

Don't expect to hear anymore from me about them again.

earl39
07-03-2017, 12:03 AM
Like foxx i have some, let's just say more than a couple (not savage). I use them to hog hunt, deer hunt and just play around. I have one built for service rifle competition. I build my own so that is why no savage.

P.S. I also have one lower with the Franklin Armory binary trigger. I will say it takes getting used to but will run with any full auto if you so desire.

BBS70
11-23-2017, 03:33 PM
I have a RRA 6.8 and love it.
I also have a Savage Hog hunter in 308, highly accurate.
Been thinking about buying a msr10 Hunter in 308.
Done research , still haven't found one anywhere I could get my mitts on though.
If its any near as accurate as the hog hunter I will be extremely happy.

The only argument I can come up with against it is , most of the gun has proprietary parts.
Which means to me (And maybe others) that interchangeability with aftermarket parts might be a problem.

Traveling_Fisher
11-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Got an MSR 15 Recon. First day out trued different ammo. Federal Sierra King 69gr shot .85moa 5 shot group at 100 yds. Scoped but stock otherwise. I'm pleased.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk