PDA

View Full Version : An Update On Stock Replacement - Check My Logic Please

fteter
05-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Purchased a new Savage Axis II XP in 223 earlier this year. At first, based on comments I'd read here and other places, I intended to change out the stock and upgrade the scope. Well, now I've had the rifle out about a dozen times. I'm not noticing any flex in the stock. And the scope is getting it done for me out to 300 yards...maybe even 400 yards. So now my thinking has changed.

I don't think the 223 round, especially with the 55 grain rounds I'm using, cause that plastic stock to do much flexing. And the scope is fine for the mid-range shooting I do with 223.
So I think I'll keep the rifle in the original configuration and save my dollars for another in 308. And, yes, I'll go with the hardwood stock in a 308...and likely get a better scope too. Not likely that I'll take the barrel nut approach when using two rounds as different as 223 and 308.

How's my logic here folks? Am I making sense, especially in terms of my plans for 308? Thoughts, comments, and general wisecracking all appreciated (although the wisecracking may be graded).

Nor Cal Mikie
05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Different folks like different strokes. You heard all the crap about the stocks flexing BUT, in your case, that problem didn't surface. So with that in mind, buy more ammo and keep an eye out for another rig in .308.

SageRat Shooter
05-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Every gun guy needs a .224 and .308 at the minimum (in my opinion). That way you have at least the majority of game animals covered in the USA.

Airaddict
05-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I also purchased a youth model axis in 223 earlier this year. I got it with a gander mountain $50 off coupon AND the savage rebate. So it cost me less than $200. Super great deal for a basic shooter.

I slapped a PA 1-8 scope on it with the chevron and i can keep basic 55gr ammo inside 5-7" at 400 yds on 8x shooting off elbows. The drop lines were perfect for PPU ammo but federal 55gr were a little slow to match up exactly.

Ive not experienced and forearm flax but only adjustment ive made is to clip a couple coils off the trigger spring to lighten it up just a tad. I think im gonna leave it as is.

I know if i invest some time in reloading for it, i can shrink those long range groups, but my goal was to make a very light and easy handling rifle. Im considering chopping the barrel to 16.5" and having it threaded but theres not a lot of meat on that barrel to get a good shoulder to index on. We will see if i decide to invest more money in it, or do as SageRat says and use it for another rifle! Ha

kingdombuilder
05-31-2017, 09:49 PM
heres my thought . i have a 223 and 243 in axis the 223 has stock stif and beded and all that and i noticed almost no change BUT i did notice change when i glued trigger guard in stock . that removed most noticeable recoil flexing making it more accurate. its ez simple and if u are keeping it to a single short action caliber . u loose nothing . i would try that and see how she improves. shoot it off sand bags more under action than fore arm and the stock fore arm flexing matters less.

richdeerht
06-01-2017, 09:12 AM
I found a big improvement in gluing on the trigger guard. It's worth trying before you order a stock. Doing that and a lighter trigger spring made my stainless .270 a real shooter.

fteter
06-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the input thus far.

Gluing the trigger guard is a new one to me...I've never heard this before. I'll have to look into it.

So far as the trigger spring goes, the Axis II comes with the AccuTrigger. I love the thing. Played with it a bit, but keep coming back to the original setting it had out of the box. Not sure I want to fix it if it ain't broke.

Overall, I think NorCalMikie and SageRat Shooter have nailed it: I'm going to leave the .223 pretty much as is and save my dollars for a .308 with a wood stock.

caymin last
06-11-2017, 10:18 AM
I also have an Axis XP in 223, and fully intended to upgrade the stock eventually. After some DIY mods to stiffen the stock, I find it works well enough to leave it as is for the time being. I think, the removable trigger guard is designed for the AccuTrigger to be adjusted without having to remove the whole action from the stock, the models with a regular trigger also have that feature, it is a weak point and fixing it in place permanently (with super glue or two part epoxy) does make a noticeable difference.

wbm
06-11-2017, 11:40 AM
With 223 recoil levels my original synthetic stocks on the Axis have done just fine.