PDA

View Full Version : Optic mounts - Can anyone really tell a difference?

Snowwolfe
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Have to order some bases and rings for my lefty LRVP's and the prices go from reasonable (Weaver & Talley) to the outrageous. I have used both Talley and Weaver rings and bases on rifles from .22's to .450 Ackley in the past with zero issues.

Brings me to my question. One a light recoiling varmint rifle can anyone actually claim going to a more expensive mounting system has actually shrunk your groups? If so, can you mention the particulars.

Harriershot
08-29-2010, 06:00 PM
I happen to be very picky about my scope mounting set up.

I only like to use two piece Burris mounts with Signature posi-align rings.
They allow you to get the scope mounted and shooting on target with minimal turret adjustment. Keeping the scope as near its optical center as possible will help with overall gun performance. Also the plastic rings will not damage the scope and will allow the scope to be mounted bind free. I also will remove the scope and loosen and move the mounts around given the small amount of play provided by the bolt to base fit. This way when I get to the inserts I have addressed some of the alignment issues by wiggling the basses around. Don't forget to bed your basses with Devcon.
I first cut little footer grooves on the underside of the bases to allow the devcon to have a place to grab into the basses.

AVanGorder
08-29-2010, 06:56 PM
I buy the cheap little Weaver mounts also and have never had an issue with them. There is nothing that can go wrong with them.
My favorite rings are Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Adrian

hershey
08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
i have had a bad experience w/ the talley mounts that mount in-line w/ the bore. on a hard hitting rifle i could not get the clamps to quit moving from the recoil. these mounts are about the width of a rimfire rail set up but deeper and use clamping pressure only, i/e no notching etc. and they are not cheap, so there are definately better choices.

ultramag44
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I buy the cheap little Weaver mounts also and have never had an issue with them. There is nothing that can go wrong with them.

Adrian

Yeah, That! :)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageWeaver2.jpg

Snowwolfe
08-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys:) You helped to remind me that inexpensive can be just as good! Unfortunately Weaver doesnt offer 30 mm rings that I can find.

I need some 30mm rings to mount a couple of Vortex 6.5x20 scopes. Any suggestions?

gotcha
08-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm seeing an optical illusion on the scope & rings pictured above. It doesn't appear that the flats on the upper & lower rings are parallel. Which would put a twisting torque on the screws among other things. Is this caused by the appearance that the rear scope inserts don't appear to be parallel vertically? Again, this may be distortion caused by the camera lens. I normally use inexpensive Leupold Standard rings w/ one piece bases as I've found numerous rifles don't have a perfectly flat receiver. Shimming or epoxy bedding the base will give a flat surface to mount the rings. if there is still some slight mis- alignment lapping will remove the imperfection. Don't mean to "dis" the rifle here. If what I'm seeing here is true, how could you remove the scope and come back to exact zero? Just my 2 cents.

AVanGorder
08-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Adrian

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Savage%20Bench%2012/SavageWeaver2.jpg

I have a nickel that says that's a T36.

pdog06
08-29-2010, 09:08 PM
I use exclusively the Burris Sig Zee rings simply becsue of the inserts. They allow you to adjust the scope to your needs, and dont mark up the scope at all. Well worth the money spent. The plastic inserts hold well too. I have them on a 12ga and a 20ga slug gun, with no trouble at all.

As far as bases, on my target/varmint rifles I like to use 1pc rails sssso they are gonna be more than normal, but on a field gun I like 2pc bases. However, I simply cant bring myself to build a $700 rifle with a $400 scope and $50 rings, then bolt it all together with a $8 set of cheap Weaver bases. For 2pc setups I use Warne or Burris steel bases, which still are only $20, but fit the rings much tighter than the cheaper Weavers.

earl39
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
I need some 30mm rings to mount a couple of Vortex 6.5x20 scopes. Any suggestions?

you can try these from vortex

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Vortex-30-mm-tactical-rings.html

Jamie
08-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys:) You helped to remind me that inexpensive can be just as good! Unfortunately Weaver doesnt offer 30 mm rings that I can find.

Yep, sometimes they can be but I see atleast one gun a week that has "accuracy" issues that are getting blamed on everything but the $12.99 mounts they are using. Once they buy decent mounts their issues go away. Currently, I am using Leupold PRW, Warne, and Burris Signature Zee rings. The Leupy's are quickly becoming my favorite. Bought a set last week in 30mm to mount a Leupold 4.5x14x40.

Nefarioud
08-29-2010, 10:56 PM
For the record, I use Nightforce stuff, but any of the heavy nice stuff will do.

My main reason is not so much for improved accuracy as it is for the resistance to outside forces (dropped rifle, falling down a hill, bouncing around in the truck etc.)

We play our shooting games on rather rough terrain (anybody else carry a figure 8 and harness in their shooting bag?) in a bid to keep us less fat (there's nothing we can do about old)

Stuff happens, I just do what I can to prevent it from ruining my adventure.

ultramag44
08-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Adrian

I have a nickel that says that's a T36.

Yeppers! It's a T-36! ;D And that cheap pair of $8.00 bases had the scope 'deadnutz' vertically! ;) I only put a set of + / - .005 inserts in the rear ring to move the scope to coinside w/ 100 yard elevation. :)

Don - LongRangeSupply
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM

Weaver rings STINK!

Use Burris Signatures or Burris Xtremes.

gotcha
08-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Too many savages, Thanks---- Kinda what I wanted to say in my above post!

09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Is that all weaver rings, or just some? I just bought some weavers to try, hope they are ok.

Tozguy
09-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Weaver makes some really nice tactical rings in 30mm with either four or six screw caps. There seems to be a Picatinny version too.
Burris XTR are better but they have the bigger Picatinny crossbolt which doesn't fit Weaver bases.

teresap989
09-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Adrian

I also think so.THANKS

teresap989
09-22-2010, 05:47 AM

Adrian

I also think so.THANKS