PDA

View Full Version : Bartlien barrel

Pages : 1 [2] 3

MRCHIRO
12-15-2017, 01:21 PM
See I gave up all my other hobbies to focus on competitive shooting. Family and shooting is all I do outside of the Military now.

Good my man! Thank you for your services!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evlshnngns
12-15-2017, 11:27 PM
I've been very happy with XCaliber barrels, Never feel I've missed a shot in competition due to the barrel. That being said my next choice would be Hawk Hill, then Bartlien/RockCreek etc.

I finished 8th in the SE Regional PRS Series out of 400+ shooters. So, gotta shoot what you have confidence in. Also I don't really play with sporter weight barrels, so that isn't something I can speak too at the moment. At that level I may agree with you, but like I said, haven't personally tested it.

I'm looking for performance per dollar, that sounds good!

gbflyer
12-16-2017, 01:23 PM
I struggle to see how a cut rifled barrel can be as consistent as a good quality button. I've a lot to learn though. Also, and please forgive in advance, but putting a $500 tube on a factory Savage setup is like putting lipstick on a pig. I've got several Savage's and I like them just fine. But no expensive barrels. I too like the X-Caliber stuff, best bang for the buck out there. I can't believe they're still priced where they are.

MRCHIRO
12-16-2017, 01:34 PM
I struggle to see how a cut rifled barrel can be as consistent as a good quality button. I've a lot to learn though. Also, and please forgive in advance, but putting a $500 tube on a factory Savage setup is like putting lipstick on a pig. I've got several Savage's and I like them just fine. But no expensive barrels. I too like the X-Caliber stuff, best bang for the buck out there. I can't believe they're still priced where they are.

To each their own. Savages are extremely accurate actions. I guess I have a few pigs that i like. Just can’t justify 5-6k rifle builds so I stick with savages.

gbflyer
12-16-2017, 02:10 PM
To each their own. Savages are extremely accurate actions. I guess I have a few pigs that i like. Just can’t justify 5-6k rifle builds so I stick with savages.

I agree, and sort of my point without communicating it well. They do very well without an expensive whiz-bang barrel. And you're right, buy one if ya want. Just may not be necessary is all.

penna shooter
12-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Im sold....

Arky 223
12-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Last month my model 12 and Bughole Bartlein 6BR 400 32Xs. Mine is a shooter

Switchbarrel
12-22-2017, 01:00 AM
I struggle to see how a cut rifled barrel can be as consistent as a good quality button. I've a lot to learn though.

From reading a lot of posts on a lot of forums, my impression is a lot of guys view the cut rifled barrels as being superior in some way, shape or form over
the button rifled barrels. Whether they think they clean up faster, are more accurate or last longer, less metallurgical stress, etc...seems like those that
prefer the cut rifled barrels have stronger feelings about it (for whatever reasons).

Def. seen more twist options with the cut rifled barrels.

I have lots of both and would be hard pressed to tell you either is better than the other. Off the top of my head, I have Bartlein, Brux, Benchmark, Krieger,
Lilja, Rock Creek and Shilen. Had a Hart. Interested in trying a Muller and/or Broughton.

-Rick

LoneWolf
12-22-2017, 09:20 AM
SB,

That’s the thing... put 3 barrels of three to four different quality brands, chambered by the same quality reamer, by the same competent Gunsmith. Break in and do load dev on all 3 and I bet no one could tell what kind of rifling or how it was cut simply by shooting it.

cowtownup
12-22-2017, 10:01 AM
I respectfully disagree.. I believe the cut rifle barrels would perform better.

I do believe you would eventually find a button rifled barrel that would outperform a cut rifled barrel, but most of the time the cut rifle will outperform the button rifled...

That’s just my opinion..

Steelhead
12-22-2017, 11:43 AM
Subjective..... Many barrels out there shoot just as well as the other. It's more so about the chamber work than the barrel manufacturer due to all of them using the same materials to build their barrels. Higher end hand lapped barrels are all very close in performance, but all have just as much opportunity to get a "tac driver" or dud and I have seen just about all of them have a dud at one point or another. Sometimes they just get a bad lot of steel, more often its the nut running the lathe.
this!

MRCHIRO
12-22-2017, 12:02 PM
I would have to humbly disagree. Metals come in different grades. Manufacturing the barrels take different avenues from one maker to the next which changes the metallurgy of the said barrels and differentiated by the Smith with skills at hand.

cowtownup
12-22-2017, 12:34 PM
I will have to add that CBI barrels are extremely good button rifled barrels. They are good enough to win in F Class competition with the right shooter behind the trigger. I can't comment on benchrest competition since I've never competed in that discipline.

Hondo64d
12-23-2017, 11:07 AM
I will have to add that CBI barrels are extremely good button rifled barrels. They are good enough to win in F Class competition with the right shooter behind the trigger. I can't comment on benchrest competition since I've never competed in that discipline.

I love my Criterion Barrels. Here’s 5 shots from my 22-250 8” twist light varmint at 710 yards. 75gr Amax pushed by a liberal dose of R15.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6836/tjrM4g.jpg

penna shooter
12-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Good to know info...

penna shooter
12-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Bartlien barrels are the best you can buy. They flat out shoot [emoji218] holes lol.

That's a bold statement....True??

MRCHIRO
12-25-2017, 09:21 AM
That's a bold statement....True??

Very - it’s not scientific either. True??? I don’t know that’s up for you to decide. Opinions are like (__!__) , everyone’s got one.

Cheers and happy holiday everyone! Stay savfe and keep shooting! pew pew

cowtownup
12-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Yes its true...

DanSavage
01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
I had Greg at Southern Precision make a 4 groove 6 Dasher Krieger barrel,, my bench rest gun with Panda action will shoot in the .1s. Kreiger is a good choice too.

I do like my Bartlien 5 r,, cleans just a little better do to no sharp edged rifling.

J.Baker
01-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Now come on guys! Everyone knows Ford truck axles make the best barrels hands down.