PDA

View Full Version : Issues with build

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
05-28-2017, 09:05 PM
I have to agree I was wrong, no more than 2.5 degrees.

Robinhood
05-28-2017, 10:25 PM
but I know this isn't the issue at hand.
Have you ever ground one of them on a surface grinder

TheFNG57
05-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Have you ever ground one of them on a surface grinder

No I haven't, but when you try 3 different ones with the exact same result it leads me to believe it's the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
05-28-2017, 11:43 PM
I agree but those factory lugs can take up to .025 to clean up all the way on both sides. Crazy! did you ever look at the face and the edges around the face to see if something was influencing the barrel nut and lug... or the raceway for twist/distortion?

J.Baker
05-29-2017, 02:50 AM
I'm going to say the threads in the receiver for the barrel aren't parallel to the action given how far off it is. Doesn't happen often, but yours wouldn't be the first to suffer this issue.

rjtfroggy
05-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Did anyone consider that the stock may not be square, recoil lug inlet off to one side, or a small piece pf plastic keeping it from centering.
Try this also place barreled action in stock, hold it centered then tighten front screw snugly then rear screw, then torque front then the back and see if it helps.
If not it is only cosmetic any way, pick up a set of windage adjustable bases and have it.

foxx
05-29-2017, 08:28 AM
^^^They sort of addressed some of these possibilities earlier.

I would like to see a straight edge or tight string along the center of the scope mount holes extending out to the muzzle.

I know this, MANY of my builds seem to lean left into the muzzle end of the barrel channel, and NEVER to the right. Adjusting the stock as you say helps occasionally. I long-since quit worrying about it in 300 yard or less hunting rifles because it is so common and has no practical affect.

I kinda suggested this in my first response here. Of course, I would feel differently if it were a long range custom build as this one may be.

What surprises me is it appears I am the only one claiming (admitting?) to notice this rather "common" (?????) issue.

RC20
05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
I haven't on any I have built or looked at.

Possible it was in the vertical plane you might not see it.

TheFNG57
06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
So I just got word from my smith that the threads were good, but the face was off 6/1000's off on the side that the barrel was pointing to. He milled the face flat, so we will see if this fixed the issue.

foxx
06-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Cool. Keep us posted.

m12lrs
06-15-2017, 02:43 PM
What throws me is it looks like the margin between the barrel and the barrel channel in the stock is pretty consistent. Not equal but consistent.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and roll the barrel across a flat surface. Watch the action. If it wobbles like a drunk sailor then the action barrel threads are not concentric with the action.

You could.have the threads recut but.they would be oversized and prefit barrels would not fit. I would send it back to savage

If the barrel is straight in the action then it could be a stock problem. I doubt that is the problem here though. Surely not if the barrel is not mating up with the action face correctly.

Or it could be the barrel threads. Try another barrel to be sure.

TheFNG57
06-15-2017, 05:16 PM
What throws me is it looks like the margin between the barrel and the barrel channel in the stock is pretty consistent. Not equal but consistent.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and roll the barrel across a flat surface. Watch the action. If it wobbles like a drunk sailor then the action barrel threads are not concentric with the action.

You could.have the threads recut but.they would be oversized and prefit barrels would not fit. I would send it back to savage

If the barrel is straight in the action then it could be a stock problem. I doubt that is the problem here though. Surely not if the barrel is not mating up with the action face correctly.

Or it could be the barrel threads. Try another barrel to be sure.

I tried another barrel, stock, 3 lugs, and 2 nuts. Each combination had the same result. This pretty much narrows it down to the action for me. My only other thought is that the holes in the bottom of the action are mis aligned.

My smith said the action threads were fine and he didn't need to mess with them. Hopefully truing the face solves the issue.

RC20
06-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Yea, from hat I have seen you will not get a bad LW barrel.

223Randy
06-19-2017, 09:48 PM
One degree = 0.017 per inch so a 30 inch barrel, off 1 degree - would be off .510 at the end - I doubt it is off more than an 1/8 inch looking at the picture SO .125 / 30 = 0.004 or 1/4 of one degree
put it together and shoot it.