PDA

View Full Version : Question about barrel nut on Model 10

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
06-13-2017, 02:18 PM
I used a pipe wrench to get my smooth nut off.

I was careful and no problems.

Idea was to start easy and escalate if needed but it was not.

I don't know how they tension their smooth nuts, but you can bet Savage as a setup that does it.

Mnshooter
06-20-2017, 09:59 PM
There is a photo of the factory Smooth Nut Wrench on page 69 in their 2017 catalog.
Looks expensive.

MRCHIRO
06-20-2017, 10:34 PM
You can throw that smooth nut out the window - garbage! Well unless you like the looks of the smooth nut vs the regular. If you don't plan to change out your barrel, then by all means but you delinquents (me included) like to try new cartridges and brands of barrels often; thusly the smooth nut hinders our purpose haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC20
06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
No, keep the smooth nut as a thread protector on one of your spare barrels.

Never throw a potentially useful object away!

MRCHIRO
06-21-2017, 11:23 AM
No, keep the smooth nut as a thread protector on one of your spare barrels.

Never throw a potentially useful object away!

Agreed - I toss them out by means of ridding them but keep them to protect threads on other barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Baker
06-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Actually... I'm not a big fan of the thing. They could have made it half that size (length-wise of the knob itself) and rolled it down a bit to help clear the scope bell. As it is, it sticks out too far and catches on everything.

Someone who actually sees the light! I've been trying to tell these guys that for years, but none of them ever listen. They all like their bolt handles to double as kick-stands I guess. LOL

RC20
06-22-2017, 09:11 PM
I am perfectly happy with a normal bolt handle.

The larger round knob on the Varmint type is fine as well but I have been opening bolts for 55 years or so that had smaller heads just fine.

Beer Barrel for looks only.

Kind of like fins on the cars in the 50s, looks finally got out of hand .

Mnshooter
06-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Absolutely agree.
I only want a bolt knob, not a screwdriver handle.
But, several of my fellow shooters think they're the greatest thing since smokeless powder.
Some, but not all, are the same people who will spend two weeks planning the paint scheme for their rifle, and two hours developing loads.
For those who like them, -great. Enjoy.

RC20
06-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Yea, fine with me, kind of he whatever, if you want to have a bun on your head and do public yoga, ok as well.

You won't find one on mine, not that I have enough hair or one anymore anyway but not back in the day either.

Charlie98
06-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Someone who actually sees the light! I've been trying to tell these guys that for years, but none of them ever listen. They all like their bolt handles to double as kick-stands I guess. LOL

I've already got a kickstand on the Ducati, I don't need one on my bolt gun... :p