PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by Bolts and Baffles

bsekf
05-22-2017, 08:24 AM
I have 3 long action Savages, all with F prefix SN's and .473 bolt faces. The bolts will all interchange. But 2 have a rectangular shaped baffle and one has a square shaped baffle. Two are flat back and one is round. It appears the "F" prefix was put on flat back and round actions with hex and slotted bolt screws.

I have found a long action 223 bolt on line, description says it will fit a 110F or 111F. Does the "F" stand for the F SN prefix? The picture shows it to have a rectangular shaped baffle. I understand the early 223 Savage 110's were made on the long action.

Seems like a complete bolt, in 223, is easier than replacing the bolt head on a .473 long action, since that may involve a firing pin change and be almost as costly as the complete bolt.

I have searched the archives and do not find an explanation for the different shaped baffles. Do they make any difference? Should this bolt fit and work in my long actions? How about in a Stevens LA?

Or, am I shooting myself in the foot...... again?

Bill

olddav
05-22-2017, 09:59 AM
I have found a long action 223 bolt on line, description says it will fit a 110F or 111F. Does the "F" stand for the F SN prefix? The picture shows it to have a rectangular shaped baffle. I understand the early 223 Savage 110's were made on the long action.

The "F" does not refer to the F prefix on the serial number. As you have noted, long action bolts will swap from one long action to another but doing so alters headspace. You may increase or decrease headspace by swapping bolts from one action to another causing all kinds of problems. Now as far as the rectangular bolt baffle, I believe its the bolt head that has the elongated (rectangular) tab on it. It is used to limit the length of travel of the bolt (dont need all that room for a .223). Any way you should be able to use the bolt assuming that you want a .223 bolt head.

You may want to look at the FAQ section for more info. Lots of details and pictures that may help.

Robinhood
05-22-2017, 05:39 PM
The Long Action 223 front baffle has an extension that restricts rearward movement of the bolt to accommodate the short 223 cartridge. The Short Action 223 front baffle has the same extension. Baffles are not the issue. Magazines are, if you are building a repeater.

olddav
05-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Now as far as the rectangular bolt baffle, I believe its the bolt head that has the elongated (rectangular) tab on it.

Oops!

bsekf
05-23-2017, 08:37 AM
I was hoping bootsmcguier or mr furious might chime in here.

I understand adjusting headspace with different bolts. I am trying to determine if all long action bolts will interchange in long actions. I am confused by the different baffle designs, bolt screws and flat/round actions and whether the bolts will interchange. It seems to me as if it would be simpler to exchange complete bolts rather than messing with bolt heads and firing pins.

Thanks,

Bill

olddav
05-23-2017, 09:50 AM
As you might have guessed I'm not either one of those knowledgable members. If you cull out the 338 Lapua actions, then yes all long action bolts will interchange. As stated earlier the extended baffle is to limit the travel of the bolt when Savage chambered a shorter cartridge in the long action. If you don't want/need the extension on the baffle you can either swap it out or cut the extension off. Perhaps one of your perfered/knowledgeable members will chim in soon.

The differences in the BAS is nothing to be concerned about. As long as the correct internals are installed and you do not try to mix and match parts then no problem.

Robinhood
05-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Bsekf, The short answer is yes. All of the modern LA bolts will fit in all of the modern Long Actions. The type of BAS does no matter. The caveats are the Primary extraction and timing. For the most part it is not an issue. Primary extraction is easy to fix if it is "long" If it is short a skim cut on the lugs or the action abutment is required.

Buyer beware on buying used Items. There are many Savage Smiths out there without a clue.

J.Baker
05-24-2017, 08:11 PM
I was hoping bootsmcguier or mr furious might chime in here.

I understand adjusting headspace with different bolts. I am trying to determine if all long action bolts will interchange in long actions. I am confused by the different baffle designs, bolt screws and flat/round actions and whether the bolts will interchange. It seems to me as if it would be simpler to exchange complete bolts rather than messing with bolt heads and firing pins.

Thanks,

Bill

For long actions, bolts from any 1966+ rifle will work in any long action made to date. HOWEVER, to me it sounds like you want to just have one bolt assembly you can move from action to action. You can do that, but the headspace will need to be set for that bolt and only that bolt can be used in that action unless you reset the headspace. So if you have three L/A bolts with a standard .473 bolt head and set the headspace on all your rifles using one of them, you can't just use the other two bolts in any of them w/o checking and likely resetting headspace.

The reason for this is the combined tolerances of all the parts within the bolt assembly will result in their being different overall lengths which could result in to tight or too much headspace.

Hopefully that makes sense. lol

bsekf
05-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Yes, it makes sense........ different bolt, different headspace. My 4 F prefix action all have .473 bolts in them. What I want is to exchange a 223 bolt for a .473 bolt. Take my .473 bolt out and the 7-08 barrel off..... insert 223 bolt and screw on a 6 TCU barrel, set headspace. The only thing the remains the same is the action and the stock. Seems easier than changing a bolt head. Especially a 223 bolt head on a LA bolt.

I have my answer, LA bolts all fit in LA actions, with the exception of the 338 Lapua. I am going to do it!

Thanks,

Bill