PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 hunting rifle upgrade

bobco
05-18-2017, 08:46 PM
I have a package rifle 30-06 accutrigger, non accustock. bottom bolt release and bottom metal mag, Nikkon BDC scope ,Decent rifle for good price. Been a good rifle, harvested a few cow elk with it. Never liked the plastic Tupperware stock , thinking about getting a better stock for It. looks like Boyds makes a drop in replacement for a good price. would probably do a painted one for around $150. Looks like other options start at another $120 for Bell /carlson?
What kind of weight gain is Boyds over plastic? probably prairie hunter model or thumbhole light. Just trying to see if it is really worth the effort?

SageRat Shooter
05-19-2017, 11:28 AM
They are worth the effort... I replaced my 22-250 and 260 rem with Boyds stocks... The Prairie hunter and Pro Varmint to be exact. The Prairie Hunter weighs in at 2.8 pounds (give or take a few oz) Go with the Laminate stocks as they are the better made stocks.

You might want to look at the new ATONE stock they are making now...?

If you are going to be packing it for hunting in nasty conditions (the Prairie Hunter), I highly recommend getting some stippling put on it as the stocks can be very slippery when they get wet.

RC20
05-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Fully agreed. I have one of my guns in a Boyds Laminated Light Thumbhole Hunter and its my favorite.

Does not have to be Thumbhole, I like them though.

You real weight is in the barrel, length and the profile.