PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Heavy Barrel

EvilVaquero
05-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know why Savage discontinued the Heavy Barrel Axis Rifle? I know there is alot of supposition why, but is there an Official Reason, or a validated REAL reason?

Thank you all in advance.

Happy Trails!

deerhunter99
05-18-2017, 07:39 PM
THEY just stopped, you can bet it has to do with money !!!!

DrThunder88
05-19-2017, 12:34 AM
I don't know. I would suspect the HB version just wasn't popular enough.

sharpshooter
05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
If they don't get the orders, they don't build it.

bignorm40
05-19-2017, 04:59 PM
I have one in 243 and love it!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ktmracer358
05-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Just picked one of the few left about 2 months ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ivob
05-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Have a 308 heavy barrel love it shoots very accurate currently have 876 rounds down the pipe - as to your original question they probably stoped making them to save money - if you can find an unmolested used one I would buy it - have zero issues with the factory stock will not spend money on an aftermarket one - and - once I have 20 inches of free bore may upgrade to a 6.5 barrel

godale
05-28-2017, 08:42 AM
I have a 223 wish I would have got another at the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Baker
05-29-2017, 03:03 AM
Maybe they finally woke up and realized they were cutting into the sales of their higher end lines. The Axis was always meant to be a budget minded entry-level rifle, so why Savage ever decided to add features to it that would make it compete with their higher end models (AccuTrigger, HB, hardwood stock) is beyond me. Nobody else was so they can't blame it on having to match what the competition was doing on their budget models.

Word through the grapevine tells me there are going to be some big changes with the centerfire offerings next year, though what they're going to be I have no clue. I would imagine we're going to see some scaling back and restructuring of the number and type of models being offered as right now there's a lot of overlap in the line-up that could be eliminated and streamlined. Variety is nice, but there is such a thing as too many options and now that the market has reset after the Obummer years the manufacturers have to adjust their offerings accordingly.

EvilVaquero
05-31-2017, 09:58 PM
I thought along those lines. It has a heavy barrel but no Accu-trigger. By the time you upgrade the trigger and mebbe the stock, you are looking pretty close to a Model 10...my thoughts anyways.

Happy Trails.

DrThunder88
06-01-2017, 12:27 PM
I believe what MrFurious says about changes to the centerfire lineup. I would not be surprised if Savage is going to double down on the Axis II XP and eliminate the regular Axis and possibly the Trophy Hunter XP lines.

SageRat Shooter
06-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I believe what MrFurious says about changes to the centerfire lineup. I would not be surprised if Savage is going to double down on the Axis II XP and eliminate the regular Axis and possibly the Trophy Hunter XP lines.

If that is true, I'm glad I built my rifles now instead of later. The Trophy Hunter Line, I prefer to the Axis lines... Most in regards to the recoil lug system.

bignorm40
03-23-2021, 05:53 AM
They were great shooters, I had a 243 and it was definitely a sub-moa shooter...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk