PDA

View Full Version : Why I love Savage rifles

Newtosavage
05-15-2017, 12:38 PM
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just have to say that after now owning three Model 10/11 Savage bolt guns (2 in .308 and 1 in 7.62x39) and fiddling with two Ruger 77 Hawkeye's for over a year, I am completely sold on Savage rifles. No muss, no fuss - like the commercial used to say.

My Ruger 77's were shiny, attractive rifles with superb actions, etc. But they drove me nuts at the range. Beyond nuts. I probably would have been satisfied with them if I hadn't already experienced the accuracy and near-boring consistency of my Savage bolt guns. No matter what I did, I could not get that kind of consistent performance from the Rugers. So I sold them both and replaced one of them with yet another Savage 11 in .308. After 25 rounds, that Savage was giving me .7's and .8's and gave me near-touching holes at 300 yards with my handloads. Best I ever did with the Rugers at 300 was about 3-4" groups. And that was maybe twice out of 20-30 tries.

Add to this how LIGHT my Savage rifles are on average (7 lbs. with the basic synthetic stock and a Luepy 2-7x33 scope) and they are just no-brainers. I lucked into a never-fired model 11 in .308 at Cabelas the other day that did not have a scope for just $399 and now I feel like I stole that gun. LOL

I also picked up a Tikka T3x in 30-06 for a stainless lightweight mountain gun, and will be comparing it to my Savage .308 over the next few weeks. I've read/heard nothing but good things about the Tikka's, but sitting next to my Savages - it's gotta tall climb to earn it's way into my gun safe permanently now. LOL

Yup, just another satisfied Savage customer here.

Zero333
05-16-2017, 01:03 PM
You will not be disappointed with your Tikka. I've yet to see one not shoot and I think they're almost on par with Savage accuracy.

I love my Savages because of their simplicity and aftermarket parts. And I agree about the lightness of the non-accustock hunting models. 7 to 7.5 lbs scoped is perfect for most hunting.

Willy
05-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Well, I hate to rain on your party, but how could anyone like the basic Savage synthetic stock? A Daisy Rider BB gun has a nicer stock; Mattel had nicer stocks on toy guns. I'm sure if Savage spent $2.00 more on each stock they could make a much stronger (stiffer), and better looking stock. IMO the Weatherby Vanguard composite stock is much, much, nicer, and stronger. I have several Model 11/111 Savages and the stocks are just pure garbage, and the stock on the B-Mag is even worse.

Zero333
05-16-2017, 04:19 PM
I like them basic stocks for hunting. They're light, comfortable and handle good. And I've never gained any accuracy by glassing them or by switching to a better stock. So obviously they work as intended.

Newtosavage
05-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Well, I hate to rain on your party, but how could anyone like the basic Savage synthetic stock? A Daisy Rider BB gun has a nicer stock; Mattel had nicer stocks on toy guns. I'm sure if Savage spent $2.00 more on each stock they could make a much stronger (stiffer), and better looking stock. IMO the Weatherby Vanguard composite stock is much, much, nicer, and stronger. I have several Model 11/111 Savages and the stocks are just pure garbage, and the stock on the B-Mag is even worse.

Fair enough. They could improve the stock and IMO sell more rifles because of it. However, it's hard to find a stock under $500 by itself, that is lighter than the Savage stock, and the fit of the Savage tupperware stock for me at least, is near perfect.

Those are two things that matter more to me than whether I can flex the tip of the stock with my hand. I can't think of any hunting situations where I would ever flex the stock enough to touch the barrel anyway.

Oh, and they have pillars which seem to contribute to the accuracy and consistency of these rifles. So yea, they may "seem" like junk but to me they work just fine. Plus, they are easy to paint with a textured paint and frankly that changes the whole appearance and feel of the rifles. I've been asked more than once at the range how much I spent on my "custom" stocks. LOL I usually answer $300 and see how they react before telling them it was actually a $5 can of Krylon. ;)

Willy
05-16-2017, 06:08 PM
I had thought of painting my stocks like camo however someone (who I thought was wiser than me), told me it wouldn't stay on. Do you spray a sealant onto your stock paint jobs? (Post a picture?)

Newtosavage
05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
I had thought of painting my stocks like camo however someone (who I thought was wiser than me), told me it wouldn't stay on. Do you spray a sealant onto your stock paint jobs? (Post a picture?)

I'll get a pic up soon. No, I don't seal them. The texture is **** near perfect for a hunting rifle IMO except where my cheek weld is (a hair too rough) so I sand that area with some fine grit sandpaper and all is well.

Here's the paint I use... It comes in many colors. My new Tikka T3x lite is about to get the deep forest treatment. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N3E9Y2/ref=asc_df_B001UE7MVK4986778/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001UE7MVK&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193168541182&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6795240092429098990&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026744&hvtargid=pla-308556908331&th=1

Newtosavage
05-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Guess I'm not sure how to do pics here...

Newtosavage
05-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one to discover this paint for rifle stocks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8lI9Kv318