PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum chassis for target action?

scottwing
05-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Does anyone make a lightweight chassis to fit a target action? I have a model 12 benchrest that's extraordinarily accurate but is also extraordinarily heavy. I would like to lighten the rifle without sacrificing accuracy. An aluminum chassis seems like a good alternative.

Robinhood
05-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Determine your screw spacing. If it is a 4.4 then you can use any center feed chassis(It will still have the mag port). Some even make one for the target action screw pattern.

scottwing
05-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your reply. This a 3 screw target action. The front to rear screw spacing is approximately 3.4 inches.

Robinhood
05-14-2017, 10:12 PM
There are two 3 screw target actions. One has the standard 4.4 with a screw in the middle. This action did not solve the issue with the rear pillar. The one you have has the rear screw moved forward to enable the rear pillar to be a a full pillar.

Since yours is the improved version it may be a little more difficult.

XLR says they fit the PTA in the Evolution Chassis but I would contact to make sure it fits the 3.4" Spacing.

clintsrv
05-15-2017, 02:01 AM
You could always drill and tap a rear screw hole to line up with the common 4.4 spacing.
That would NOT compromise your action (if done correctly) and it would allow a much greater stock/chassis selection.
Depending on chassis design it my be possible to drill an extra hole in the chassis to line up with the 3.4 spacing.

cdhbrad
05-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Two new screw holes are needed to move it to a 4.4" spacing, front and rear. Only the center screw is in the same position. I have at least three actions on which this has been done before I bought them.

clintsrv
05-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Two new screw holes are needed to move it to a 4.4" spacing, front and rear. Only the center screw is in the same position. I have at least three actions on which this has been done before I bought them.

I was unaware that the 3.4's had a front bolt spacing in a different location than from 4.4's.
I've only possessed the 4.4 versions, I'll add. It just seemed to make sense considering the rear pillar would be the only concern for a redesigned bolt pattern.
Thanks for the information.

Can you give dimensions of the 3.4 spacing?

cdhbrad
05-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Look at the last photo in this article from the FAQ page:http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths . You can see that the front and rear bolts are in different locations relative to the remainder of the actions. The only constant is the center bolt. I have never had a need to measure the differences, I just know I have 3.44" actions modified to the 4.4" spacing, have used them in stocks with both spacings, and the center bolt is the same for both.