View Full Version : Annealing

Pages : 1 [2]

RC20
05-29-2017, 04:52 PM
The best looking and what I considered accurate torch setup was even more than the Annie.

You could load it and it did a lot automatically .

Not cheap, but then throwing away brass and in accuracy (for what I do) is a cost as well.

I try to focus my bucks and good returns. The Lyman Boroscope was one. Its answered a whole bunch of questions.

The auto powder dispenser is another. Speed, accuracy and convenience all a plus.

Next step is steel pin cleaning though only fo9r the batch being annealed. I have seen the results of a completely clean inside of a case.
That's a ways down the road. If I am doing it right I am getting 5/8 accuracy regularly and that's good enough for now.

I also tend to shoot upwards of 200 - 250 rounds in a 7.5 hour session. I try to do that weekly.

rerun5
05-29-2017, 07:29 PM
I have to say, I really enjoy all aspects of the hobby of reloading. As I said right now I anneal using the drill driver and shell holder method, but I have some info on a affordable set up and I'm going to try it. None of the reloading process is really a chore to me, it's enjoyable and actually relaxing. Just have to make sure I have no distractions. Of course being stuck on disability, the one thing I have a lot of is time, so I can set aside time to do the job. If I was still working in steel fabricating it would be a lot tougher to find time.

Scott Evans
05-29-2017, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gT9_y81XSU

Earlier boilerplate version of mine, auto case feed (unmolested Dillon 650 case feeder).
Counter can be set to stop at a setpoint.

Later changes included current limiting in discrete repeatable steps.

If you are fair/good with electronics its pretty simple to build a basic version.

This is a long thread, but if you are interested in building one its a very good source of info, from bare bones basic setups to more involved units-

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/induction-brass-annealer-redux.3908353/

Fotheringill
05-31-2017, 10:06 AM
I have had the Annie since the beginning of the year. Excellent product. Consistent. Fast but no auto feed. Use tweezers to avoid burns on your hands when taking the case out of the coil. Make sure you use Templaq to make sure you get the right timing for the annealing.

m12lrs
05-31-2017, 11:56 AM
I have had the Annie since the beginning of the year. Excellent product. Consistent. Fast but no auto feed. Use tweezers to avoid burns on your hands when taking the case out of the coil. Make sure you use Templaq to make sure you get the right timing for the annealing.

Annie automatic

http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm

hafejd30
05-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Just looked at price of the vertex I have....holy crap have they gone up. I bought mine for $460 ish on a group buy about 6 years ago. Like $650 now.

I'd highly recommend the vertex but after seeing the price I'm not so sure haha

RC20
06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
I have to say, I really enjoy all aspects of the hobby of reloading. As I said right now I anneal using the drill driver and shell holder method, but I have some info on a affordable set up and I'm going to try it. None of the reloading process is really a chore to me, it's enjoyable and actually relaxing. Just have to make sure I have no distractions. Of course being stuck on disability, the one thing I have a lot of is time, so I can set aside time to do the job. If I was still working in steel fabricating it would be a lot tougher to find time.

First I am sorry about your disability. I had my brush with that, back surgery and fortunate being a bicycle rider which is the only aerobic type thing I am allowed. I was able to work my way though it but never the same as I was, some of it is the pain (managed fairly well) and the limitation of 25 lb s.

I hope to retire in a couple more years. Sadly to the point that I will make as much being retired as working. So much for 30 years of dedicated service.

If I can pull off retirement Then it will be more fun to do the prep work. Now it interferes with my shooting!

RC20
06-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Mine should be here today, I have been using my brothers.

I went with the opposed disks. My brother worked out the timing so I am good to go.

Deadshot2
06-02-2017, 12:29 PM
I hope to retire in a couple more years. Sadly to the point that I will make as much being retired as working. So much for 30 years of dedicated service.

If I can pull off retirement Then it will be more fun to do the prep work. Now it interferes with my shooting!

I retired 13 years ago. No Pension, just SS and the proceeds of my own investments along with a 401K. Funny thing, not having to go to work for some reason makes money go a lot farther. Less wear and tear on the "wardrobe", more time to cook nice meals at home rather than just eating out every night because your "dog-@$$ed" tired after work.

Rather than taking trips where you have to fly and then cram as much fun as you can in a week (or two) one can just pack the car, truck, RV, with supplies and take off on a leisurely "camping" trip, coming home when you feel like it.

One thing I'd like to pass on, don't put off retirement any longer than necessary and when you do, don't put off things you'd like to do. Nobody has any guarantee that tomorrow will be there for them. About 8-9 years into my wife's and my retirement my wife started to feel less and less like going anywhere or doing anything. About two years ago she really felt crappy but the Dr's couldn't find anything. Just over a year ago she was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and passed away 8 months later. It is a guaranteed fact that we all have a finite lifetime but nobody knows how long it will be. Make the most of it while you can.