PDA

View Full Version : Loose barrel

Pages : [1] 2 3

joeb33050
05-09-2017, 06:11 AM
The barrel on my Striker got loose. The barrel is a 22-250 sporter cut down to ~ 16.5", muzzle filed flat and bore chamfered with an RCBS "cricket". I got home after shooting and found the barrel loose. I've made over 100 barrel changes on the Striker, M10 and M12. I use synthetic motor oil on the barrel threads when changing barrels, and store barrels with this oil on and in the barrels. I never rush when changing barrels, won't allow anyone to talk to me then, and am very careful. I have no idea why this barrel loosened. I now have added a "barrel tight?" step to my every-5-shot gun/scope check.

joe b.

Deadshot2
05-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Heating/cooling cycles are notorious for loosening any threaded device unless it's under a lot of tension. Expansion when fired (albeit very little, there still is some) also contributes to this possibility.

Might be a good idea that when you torque the barrel nut you put a "witness mark" across the nut, extending a short amount onto action and barrel so you can just glance at it to see if it matches up on both ends. If not, nut/barrel is loose. A black sharpie for stainless finish and a Silver marking pen for a setup that is a darker finish. If you torqued it, put the line from barrel to action, and all lines up, your GTG.

darkker
05-09-2017, 09:30 AM
Wet thread torque and dry are never the same. Maybe just didn't quite have enough vinegar that day?

J.Baker
05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Well for starters, stop wasting the motor oil on them - it's not needed and offers no benefit, and could ultimately be the cause of your problem. Many oils, especially synthetic oils, have additives designed to bond with the metal to make it slicker to reduce friction. Yet here you are using it in an instance that relies on that very friction to secure the barrel.

hereinaz
05-09-2017, 10:21 AM
I bet it is the oil. There is no necessary purpose for using it on your assembled guns.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

joeb33050
05-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Well for starters, stop wasting the motor oil on them - it's not needed and offers no benefit, and could ultimately be the cause of your problem. Many oils, especially synthetic oils, have additives designed to bond with the metal to make it slicker to reduce friction.

I use CARQUEST full synthetic SAE 5W-20 to clean barrels with cast bullets, with jacketed at cast velocities, steel protector and all lubrication of all parts of all guns. Someday the quart will be gone.

Yet here you are using it in an instance that relies on that very friction to secure the barrel.

No, repeat, no, friction does not secure the barrel. The barrel is secured by tightening the nut, which compresses the nut, the recoil lug and the action; and applies tension to the barrel threads. It is this combination of tension and compression that secures the barrel, and ALL nut/stud combinations.
joe b.

RC20
05-09-2017, 11:04 AM
There are really only two reasons a fastener comes loose.

Lack of torque.

You are into the plastic range. In this case short of the nut going (its possible) the barrel threads can be stretched into plastic.

If you toque it good and it repeats, replace the nut.

I advocate use of a torque wrench. NSS gives what I feel is a good minimum figure of 50 ft lbs.

Barring that, then the nut wrench with a breaker bar with a bit of effort into it.

sharpshooter
05-09-2017, 01:12 PM
No, repeat, no, friction does not secure the barrel. The barrel is secured by tightening the nut, which compresses the nut, the recoil lug and the action; and applies tension to the barrel threads. It is this combination of tension and compression that secures the barrel, and ALL nut/stud combinations.
joe b.

Tension and compression = friction. Without friction on the faces, the nut won't stay tight.

joeb33050
05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_1.htm

Bigeclipse
05-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Heating/cooling cycles are notorious for loosening any threaded device unless it's under a lot of tension. Expansion when fired (albeit very little, there still is some) also contributes to this possibility.

Might be a good idea that when you torque the barrel nut you put a "witness mark" across the nut, extending a short amount onto action and barrel so you can just glance at it to see if it matches up on both ends. If not, nut/barrel is loose. A black sharpie for stainless finish and a Silver marking pen for a setup that is a darker finish. If you torqued it, put the line from barrel to action, and all lines up, your GTG.

this is exactly why I use a torque wrench and tighten close to Savage guidelines of 70-75ft pounds (I typically go 60ish). Many people said "oh that is way to much" and 30-55ft/lbs is enough. I cannot believe people say this. I think 50-60 is ok but for me I will never go below 60. There is a reason savage chose the number they did.

RC20
05-09-2017, 03:57 PM
NSS lists 50 (max) for the Barrel Nut torque with their tool. They also have anti seize for a lubricant and that needs to be kept in mind.

Dry is one thing, lubricated is another and not a clue what good Savage uses and how it affects the equation.

At a guess 50 with lube is equal to 60-80 dry.

Bigeclipse
05-09-2017, 04:09 PM
NSS lists 50 (max) for the Barrel Nut torque with their tool. They also have anti seize for a lubricant and that needs to be kept in mind.

Dry is one thing, lubricated is another and not a clue what good Savage uses and how it affects the equation.

At a guess 50 with lube is equal to 60-80 dry.
savage supposedly uses anti-seize lube. Yeah but are they posting that due to the fact that their tool adds leverage into the equation? If you position your torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the tool it should take out most of the added leverage. I still stand by what Savage uses. I think they probably go a little overboard probably because of their lawyers but still...if they say 70ft/lbs is safe then that is close to where I want to be. None of this 35-40ft/lbs some people are doing. this is not the first time I have heard of a switch barrel loosening up on these forums and id be willing to bet they were torqued to 35-45ft/lbs.

J.Baker
05-09-2017, 09:34 PM
savage supposedly uses anti-seize lube.

NO THEY DO NOT!!!!!

One ignorant individual on the internet who can't tell the difference between tumbling media residue and anti-seize makes that ridiculous claim and now I'm apparently doomed to an eternity of trying to set the record straight. After all, we all know that anti-seize has tiny little spherical balls in it that act as miniature ball bearings - right? SMH!

Not directed at you Bigeclipse, just tired of bad information like this being perpetuated when there's not an ounce of fact or truth to it. You're just an unknowing victim of it.

RustyShackle
05-09-2017, 09:45 PM

Errr, what? What are you trying to say with that? I'm an engineer and I think you might have some terms confused. PM me if you want to go over things in a little more depth. Generally speaking nuts,bolts, and various fasteners of similar stature are held tight via friction from torque(compression/tension) between the two mating surfaces.

Typically only 10% to 15% of the overall torque is actually used to tighten the bolt, the rest is used to overcome friction in the threads and on the contact face that is being rotated (nut face or bolt head).

Cheers!

Captain Obvious
05-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Tension and compression = friction. Without friction on the faces, the nut won't stay tight.

You can lead a horse to water...

m12lrs
05-10-2017, 08:28 AM
I just torque my switchbarrel barrel nut to 20#. Haven't had any problem with barrels coming loose. Seems to me with a right hand twist every shot is tightening the barrel. Some switchbarrel shooters only hand tighten their barrels.

Bigeclipse
05-10-2017, 02:54 PM
NO THEY DO NOT!!!!!

One ignorant individual on the internet who can't tell the difference between tumbling media residue and anti-seize makes that ridiculous claim and now I'm apparently doomed to an eternity of trying to set the record straight. After all, we all know that anti-seize has tiny little spherical balls in it that act as miniature ball bearings - right? SMH!

Not directed at you Bigeclipse, just tired of bad information like this being perpetuated when there's not an ounce of fact or truth to it. You're just an unknowing victim of it.
actually yes they do

J.Baker
05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
actually yes they do

Actually - no they don't. Thanks for proving my point about ignorant individuals spreading bad information though.

1. I've toured the factory
2. I've built my own rifle in the factory
3. I'm in direct contract with people at all levels at Savage - engineers, customer service, quality control, sales & marketing, etc.
4. I've asked several of those folks this very question, and EVERY TIME the answer has been the same.

Do you see a tube or tub of anti-seize at this work station? Nope - because their wasn't any.

The gal in the photos above is one of the "swingers" at Savage, the name of the position of those who mate the barrels to the actions. The first photo shows the barrel clamped in a pneumatic vise where the nut is screwed on, then the action is screwed on, the headspace is set and the nut is torqued to spec. The second photo shows the barreled action in a cradle with a mic measuring runout on the barrel. The ram is used to tweak the fit of the action to the barrel to eliminate any runout. The last photo is Fred (sharpshooter) headspacing the barrel on the rifle he built while we were there in the same pneumatic vise that's shown in the first photo.

And this last photo is of me shooting the rifle I built that day in Savage's indoor R&D range.

Now tell us again how Savage uses anti-seize on their barrel threads...

Bigeclipse
05-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Actually - no they don't. Thanks for proving my point about ignorant individuals spreading bad information though.

3. I'm in direct contract with people at all levels at Savage - engineers, customer service, quality control, sales & marketing, etc.
4. I've asked several of those folks this very question, and EVERY TIME the answer has been the same.

Do you see a tube or tub of anti-seize at this work station? Nope - because their wasn't any.

The gal in the photos above is one of the "swingers" at Savage, the name of the position of those who mate the barrels to the actions. The first photo shows the barrel clamped in a pneumatic vise where the nut is screwed on, then the action is screwed on, the headspace is set and the nut is torqued to spec. The second photo shows the barreled action in a cradle with a mic measuring runout on the barrel. The ram is used to tweak the fit of the action to the barrel to eliminate any runout. The last photo is Fred (sharpshooter) headspacing the barrel on the rifle he built while we were there in the same pneumatic vise that's shown in the first photo.

And this last photo is of me shooting the rifle I built that day in Savage's indoor R&D range.

That is interesting because the last 3 rifles I built ALL came with some sort of compound on the threads. 2 were brand new rifles and the other 2 still had their factory barrels so never been switched. What is this mysterious compound then?!?

Bigeclipse
05-11-2017, 12:07 PM

also call them and ask what they recommend their barrels torqued WITH compound. The answer will be 70#s unless I just got a bogus representative.