PDA

View Full Version : 7 mm rem mag build no tool bolt head

kingdombuilder
05-07-2017, 08:23 AM
I am building a 7mm rem mag and did research here to find there was no stock bolt head that fit the axis in magnum configuration . I have built other guns but shy away from machining things that require specialty tools . The problem was the bolt head for a magnum came from bolt heads for 110"s . they are interchangeable but firing pin on the axis do not protrude . watched whole video setup on here on how to file down the size of bolthead to get proper protrusion of pin. i called pacific tool to see if they would make a bolt head for me with magnum face opened up from a short action bolthead . To my surprise they carry in stock a short action magnum bolt face that fits the axis. I installed it and every thing matches up . Firing pin protrusion is the same as the 308 bolt face. the part is the same length as original bolt head .
and extractor and ejector fit no problem . The bolt cycles nicely and all is well . I hope this opens up possibilities for others to use their axis rifles for magnum cartridges . If any one needs i can get part number from my packing slip but it is listed on their web site .

prdatr
05-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Good info to know, thanks for posting it.

DrThunder88
05-08-2017, 04:56 AM
The video you speak of is probably mine. That info about the PT&G bolt head is good to know! I'm not in the market to build any more magna, but I'm glad the option exists. I think SSS will also make magnum bolt heads for their Axis-owning customers, but that of course means going through the SSS ordering wringer.

All in all, I would still go with modifying a long action bolt head, but that's just me. Based on cost, labor, and the expected return on both of those investments, it is most attractive in my eyes.

kingdombuilder
05-08-2017, 07:04 PM
yes it was your video . I actually 1/2 expected to have to modify bolt head but was surprised not to . thanks for all your work on this forum you do alot.