1.120x20 tap & die

Armed in Utah
08-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Midway.......Brownell's

??

ShaneG.
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I seen them on Brownell's website.
The tap was around $90 and the die I believe was around $150. That was for the small shank didn't notice large on there anywhere.

geargrinder
08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Victor Machinery Exchange is one of the few places that I've found that has a huge selection of special pitch taps and dies.

There shipping can be high if you're buying a small amount.

http://www.victornet.com/

BobT
09-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Or you could just buy a lathe ;D

Crankfire Systems
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
You can get them from:

MSC Industrial Supply Co.
1-800-645-7270

They are usually somewhat lower in price, since they aren't "Gun Gurus". The taps used to run $63.00 ea., but that's been some time back.

HTHs
Emory Jones

okie2
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I just ordered a die 1 1/16-16 for the remington barrels from
http://www.victornet.com/
$51.00 and die handle for $15.50
total $79.48 with shipping $12.98
have not found the tap and die for the savage yet.

hailstone
09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Field Tool Supply now know as ToolSavings would be my first choice. Brownells recommended them too me nearly twenty years ago. You can buy varying quality tools from them. High priced domestic tooling too cheap foreign made tooling depending on your requirements. Many of the taps and dies I've bought from them were made in India, Pakistan, Poland, Checz and other former soviet bloc countries. Quality has been excellant with me choosing whether I want something for the long run or just a few times usage.

okie2
09-01-2010, 10:14 PM
What is the web page address for toolsavings?
I have used a lot of end mills made in Poland and they were as good as any usa made ones.
midway dont have the savage tap and dies anymore and brownells is way to high like double the price.

hailstone
09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Google toolsavings or go too www.toolsavings.com. Have the plastic ready. I get most of my small taps/dies both english and metric varieties from them. I've been using some for nearly twenty years now mainly for soft metals but some steel usage. Have also bought silver and demming drill bits plus mill end cutters and lathe tooling from them over the years.

You may need to go too speciality taps and dies if this is a standard thread size. I needed a special 1/4 x 40 tpi tape and die and was amazed at the listing just for that one size.

northlander
09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
If you are going to order a receiver tap for touch up work with the action/barrel threads you should be looking at a piloted tap system. With the piloted receiver tap you can align the bolt raceway to the barrel threads (align the action). Suggest you give Dave Kiff a call at Pacific tool & Gauge. You will have to order the 4 piece pilot guide set as well to make everything align.

Be aware, PT&G offers these systems in standard and oversize. If you get one that is an "Oversized Tap" you can loose the use of all the standard shank barrels.

Jim Briggs
NSS

sharpshooter
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Piloted taps are not required for thread cleanup. The piloted tap system is primarily for making oversize threads to regain thread concentricity to the bore, mostly for Remingtons. I've never felt this was an issue with Savage receivers because the floating bolt head makes up for it.

okie2
09-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know where the 1.050-20 thread size come from because there is no such size.
I bought a 1.062-20 tap and threaded it right into a savage action and it fit perfect.
I think where the 1.050 size come from is every one measuring them with calipers and this is not the way you measure threads you do it with 3 wires and a micrometer to measure the thread pitch not the diameter.
The diameter can be quite a bit under size and still fit perfect.