PDA

View Full Version : Ring height

Clemmons
05-05-2017, 09:32 PM
New member here and just got a Savage 10 FL CP SR 308. Sweet rifle. Will be putting a EGW 20 MOA base on and mounting a Bushnell Elite tactical 3200 10x40. Based on my calculations rings with a .50 height should give me plenty of room. Objective diameter s 48.5 mm but I'm planning on 50 with scope covers. What height rings are some of you all running. Thanks.

Mozella
05-06-2017, 03:48 AM
Here's what you're going to encounter when you shop for the correct rings. The terms low, medium, and high are definitely NOT standard from one brand to the other. One company's "low" might very well be higher than another company's "medium". Some companies measure from the base to the bottom of the scope barrel and some measure to the center of the scope barrel; be careful.

A "50 mm" scope refers to the lens size. The actual OD of the front end of the scope can be slightly larger in diameter or significantly larger in diameter. Finding out about this particular measurement is easy with some scope manufacturers and nearly impossible for others. Then there is the front lens cap to consider; one of mine has a notch on the bottom so that it will slide on properly because I cut it too close when selecting those particular rings.

Don't forget the question of what goes between your scope rings and your receiver. Add a rail of some sort and you have another mysterious dimension to try and chase down. In addition, a 10 or 20 MOA tapered rail will put the objective of the scope closer to the barrel. Remember that High School Trig?

Finally, if your rifle has a Bull Barrel for target shooting, your scope/barrel clearance will be different than it it has a slim barrel profile designed for a hunting gun.

Bottom line: Finding a set of rings which will mount your scope properly isn't necessarily easy. If you're trying to get your scope as low as possible without touching the barrel, the process is even more mysterious and frustrating.

RC20
05-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Warne has a App that lets you select the gun and scope objective and picks the right ones for you.

As we are all Savage nuts, if you change the barrel, you can just pick a bull barrel Savage model to plug in and you have that.

I put a scope on a CZ 22 one time, I didn't know about Warnes site at the time though I went with their rings. I finally found a couple of guys who used that scope and those rings to confirm.

And to put Warned quality into perspective. For some odd reason, the folks that make the clamp on non intrusive scope mount for the K31 Swiss, use a 3/8 inch dove tail. Really, 3/8 on a gun that has 30-06 level recoil, yep.

So, back to sleuthing, what do they use? Yep, Warnes Rings for 22! Yep, stole them off my 22, they hold solid. Now that is something.

note: If you do use their 7.3s (CZ and K31 3/8) there is an interesting aspect, it has a dual use clamp so you can do the metric CZ (**** them commies).

What it does not tell you is which clamp position is which! Took a bit of digging, the clamps have a dot. The Dot is metric, so if its a CZ then its down, if its a 3/8 its up.

And yes I got another set of the 22. Dot down. Sportsmans has the best price on them.