PDA

View Full Version : 375 Ruger stainless sporter for a 116 FCLSS?

dulltip
05-04-2017, 01:01 PM
I'm looking to re-barrel a lefty 116 stainless currently in 300wm to 375 Ruger. Curious if anyone has attempted this that could offer some lessons learned? I'm only in need of a sporter barrel and 24" for length. Need it light and nimble as the rifle's primary use is a personal carry for grizzly bear country.

I'm not against going with a 338wm... yet... as that route seems easier based on barrel availability. But I see me sleeping better at night in the Alaska boonies with the 375. Yes I fully admit it's a 'mental thing' at this point. My worry is I order the custom .375 Ruger barrel and find out I missed something that makes it a deal breaker.

So I'm hoping someone has already done the conversion and entertain what advise they have.

Thanks in advance.

-DT

RC20
05-04-2017, 09:38 PM
Well I have not done that, perhaps I can put your mind at ease as you will note I am from that very place you are going. Where in AK are you hunting?

In a Word, bear spray. It is the single best deterrent.

Stick with your 300 WM, and buy a can of bear spray.

I have been here for 62 years. In all that time I have had one encounter with a bear, it was a black bear and it was because I was keeping trash under my trailer.

I have also stood the watch one night for bear (7mm with see through rings). My brother had the flashlight. Otherwise we would not have stood a chance (no bear, but we were on a moose we had killed). We are a good team, we had it worked out who did what. I had a loaded round and rifle leaning ready to go (our back was to a deep creek and a boat full of moose meat so we were stuck). Otherwise you give up the kill to the bear.

If you get charged, odds are you will never hit the bear. You have one shot, maybe, if you are really fast.

Those who do a lot of non hunting woods work carry a shotgun and bear spray. Usually a combo of slugs and 00 buck. When we surveyed we had a shotgun, 4 rounds of 00 followed by a slug. Shred the face and then kill it (pump with the restrictor removed)

Most of the time its a bluff charge. I have seen them move from a distance. If you think Bolt is fast, he has nothing on a grizzly.

And yes, I hunted, I camped a lot in the summer in the wood and often not in a campground.

Keep your food separate, keep it well sealed, carry bear spray. Get a book on grizzly, habits and how to deal with them.

dulltip
05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks RC20. Although I carry bear spray most of the time I'm archery hunting the flight logistics involved with the trip and rules about transporting bear spray negate wanting to deal with getting it to camp. Trying to find .375 reloading components and/or ammunition has me re-thinking the .338 quite honestly.

35Whelenshooter
05-05-2017, 08:28 PM
I have a new take off in 375 Ruger and new brass and dies, they are Hornady dies and brass. The reloading dies have not been opened, the barrel is off 116 SS

Hotolds442
05-05-2017, 11:48 PM
I have a new take off in 375 Ruger and new brass and dies, they are Hornady dies and brass. The reloading dies have not been opened, the barrel is off 116 SS
Interesting......