PDA

View Full Version : Detach mag or Internal hinge plate mag

btomlin
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a new mod 11 .243 win with accutrigger & accustock(I need all the accu-arcy a guy can get)! My major dilemma is whether to get the detach mag or traditional internal mag.

Any known problems with the detach mags, ie falling out, not cycling, etc???

What is your pref?? Mainly just to use predator hunting and a 2week rifle doe season.

Armed in Utah
08-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Flip a coin.....accuracy should be the same with either.....

I'd stay with the internal /floor plate mag my self....

Nothing to lose...no spare mag to buy......

kenbo776
08-28-2010, 01:21 AM
I purposfully went and bought the removable mag version of the model 10. No trouble with any of the possible problems you mentioned. I like the way it allows me to reload as compared to the usual method. But the mags cost $60 each so not cheap if you lose one , but I have had mine for almost two years and have the original mag. I think detachable mag is more of a tactical advantage than anything else. But as long as the deer dont shoot back a standard internal might be fine for you.

hailstone
08-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Judging from comments made on the forum regarding the Accua-Stock I've concluded its really nothing more than a marketing ploy by Savage. I have rifles both ways i.e. detachable magazine and blind magazine. Larger shells usually don't have much problems inserting the cartridges in a blind magazine. Smaller cartridges like 223 are more deficult inserting without hang ups. Cost is higher for the DBM equiped rifles but I believe the advantages is worth additional cost. Savage has a good magazine retention setup so loosing a magazine not big problem. However there are many individuals out there who are mechanically challanged so this is not for them. Hunting for over half century I've never lost a magazine from either my rifle or my pocket.