PDA

View Full Version : The NRA, Rock River Arms & Springfield Armory

J.Baker
05-01-2017, 06:51 AM
It seems that now that Trump is the President and the Republicans control both houses of Congress, those in the firearms industry don't have anyone to fight with so they've started to turn on their own and making power grabs.

First up, it appears Rock River Arms and Springfield Armory have sold out the firearms dealers and gun owners of the state of Illinois for their own gain in the form of an exemption from the pending legislation SB-1657. Springfield Armory and RRA are the two top financial contributors to IFMA at $50k/ea last year. More details here:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/04/john-boch/springfield-armory-rock-river-arms-trade-opposition-to-illinois-ffl-licensing-scheme-for-carve-out/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/04/john-boch/springfield-rock-river-illinois-sell-picking-pieces/

Then of course there's the NRA itself and how they wouldn't let existing CCW insurance providers display at or even attend the NRA Annual Meeting this past weekend because they were launching their own new Carry Guard CCW insurance program. Both the USCCA and Second Call Defense were blacklisted from the event. More details here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/21/breaking-uscca-disinvited-nra-annual-meeting/

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/04/nra-boots-uscca-annual-meeting-launches-competitive-insurance-products/#axzz4foxEgLMU

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/04/another-nra-carry-guard-competitor-dropped-as-annual-meeting-exhibitor/#axzz4foxEgLMU

So what's everyone's thoughts on these two developments? Let's try to keep it simple and keep the politics out of it.

.....and go!

J.Baker
05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
On the S/A and RRA issue, from what I've read it seems Springfield was the driving force behind this and RRA may have inadvertently gotten caught up in it as an innocent bystander simply because they are the other major contributor to the IFMA. The claim that they (one or both) sold out the dealers and gun owners of Illinois for their own gain can't be disputed though.

If passed this bill will ultimately lead to every small gunshop in the state being shut down due to simple non-compliance complications or to much financial burder for the business to remain profitable. That's the whole goal of the bill - to drive dealers out of business since they can't outright ban gun stores. All that will be left are the big box stores that also got the exemption, and you can rest assured there will be a future bill coming that will limit what types of guns can be sold in big box stores to further limit access.

The bill also limits Illinois residents to just 9 transfers per year, greatly limiting their 2A rights.

As for the NRA, it's no secret I've never been a huge fan of the organization but I am currently a member and do appreciate their efforts in protecting our rights when the need arises. The problem is they get easily sidetracked and it seems to be becoming more and more of a problem as they get bigger and bigger and seek more and more power (much like our government). In my view, the NRA's action towards USCCA and Second Call Defense in recent weeks is akin to the University of Berkley when it comes to conservative speakers. Based on the one article linked to above it sounds like they're even blacklisting anyone associated with those companies in any manner as well. They preach inclusion and standing together, but they don't want to practice it themselves if there's a profit to be made.

yobuck
05-01-2017, 06:05 PM
On the S/A and RRA issue, from what I've read it seems Springfield was the driving force behind this and RRA may have inadvertently gotten caught up in it as an innocent bystander simply because they are the other major contributor to the IFMA. The claim that they (one or both) sold out the dealers and gun owners of Illinois for their own gain can't be disputed though.

If passed this bill will ultimately lead to every small gunshop in the state being shut down due to simple non-compliance complications or to much financial burder for the business to remain profitable. That's the whole goal of the bill - to drive dealers out of business since they can't outright ban gun stores. All that will be left are the big box stores that also got the exemption, and you can rest assured there will be a future bill coming that will limit what types of guns can be sold in big box stores to further limit access.

The bill also limits Illinois residents to just 9 transfers per year, greatly limiting their 2A rights.

As for the NRA, it's no secret I've never been a huge fan of the organization but I am currently a member and do appreciate their efforts in protecting our rights when the need arises. The problem is they get easily sidetracked and it seems to be becoming more and more of a problem as they get bigger and bigger and seek more and more power (much like our government). In my view, the NRA's action towards USCCA and Second Call Defense in recent weeks is akin to the University of Berkley when it comes to conservative speakers. Based on the one article linked to above it sounds like they're even blacklisting anyone associated with those companies in any manner as well. They preach inclusion and standing together, but they don't want to practice it themselves if there's a profit to be made.

I don't see how you can say the NRA keeps getting bigger. I believe the membership is still in the 5 million range where its been for a very long time. That even though record numbers of guns have been sold in recent years.
Who else is in the forefront as for fighting for the gun rights of everybody?
Yes yes I know they are constanly begging for dollars, and just maybe the insurance is a way to raise some?
I think we need be looking for ways to support them in their effort.

J.Baker
05-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Springfield and RRA both released statements today, but so far they're going over like a lead balloon with the majority of 2A supporters. Many (myself included) find it very hard to believe that a trade organization (IFMA) would make such a move without the knowledge or approval of it's two largest financial benefactors, yet both companies are claiming that's exactly what happened.

http://blog.springfield-armory.com/springfield-armory-statement-regarding-gun-dealer-licensing-act-sb1657

http://rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_Stmt17.pdf

gbflyer
05-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Keep the politics out of it after that intro? Surely you jest. [emoji1]

J.Baker
05-01-2017, 09:40 PM
My mentioning Trump and the Republicans was just to set the stage for the environment leading into this. The discussion is about these significant players in the industry and their actions in recent weeks, not the politicians.

Robinhood
05-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Who else is in the forefront as for fighting for the gun rights of everybody?

Who's rights are they fighting for again?

yobuck
05-02-2017, 07:45 AM
Who's rights are they fighting for again?

Well I guess we can look at any organization and find fault.
Certainly many have been formed for a very worthy cause, and then continue to exist for the benefit of the organization and not the cause.
But find fault if you will with the NRA, then name something better for gun owner rights.
Five million members paying the way for over 200 million gun owners is a disgrace.
It represents about one can of beer per week as for dues to be a member, but we can see whats more important to most, cant we?
Sorta makes me proud to be a hunter/gun owner.

J.Baker
05-02-2017, 12:53 PM
The train wreck continues for Springfield and RRA as more details come out.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/05/john-boch/springfield-armory-rock-river-arms-made-campaign-contributions-to-anti-gun-rights-politicians/

Rob Latham might have to start shooting Glocks or S&W's if this keeps up.

Edit: One thing to note about the info on IFMA donation records in the above linked post is this. The donations show up on the IFMA's declarations, but don't show up in the State Board of Elections list of donations from the group. So that begs to question: Were the donations made and never reported by the liberal politicians, OR did this Jay Keller guy just claim to have made donations on the groups tax filings to try and cover money he had pocketed (extorted) from the group?

Down the rabbit hole we go!