PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington idea

trentcwwilson
05-01-2017, 01:45 AM
Ok, I've got a short action laying around and this cartridge has always been a favorite of mine. I'm looking for someone that has experience with twist rates with .357-.359 diameter bullets. I know I can get the 170 grain JHPs at screaming velocities out of a 336, but I want a bolt gun. I know, build a 35 Whelen...dont have that brass available in MASSIVE quantities. Anyone have any idea as to what twist rate would help stabilize the lighter pistol bullets? I've run lead cowboy loads and I'm currently trying to find load data on the 158 jacketed bullets, mainly the JSPs. I know I've got thousands of them on hand and they'd turn the 35 Remy into a hammer for smaller varmints at close range.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Robinhood
05-01-2017, 06:22 AM
1:16

65Whelen
05-01-2017, 09:26 AM
I shoot a .357 180JHP out of my 35 Rem. 12" Contender that is a kick butt deer round. I know, you want to do a 35 Remy bolt and it would make an excellent brush gun, but if I was building a short action 35 it would be a 358 Winchester, just saying. Then again if recoil is an issue then the Rem. is a good choice. Good luck on your build, if your happy with it then it's a good build.

And as far as a 35 Whelen , that's a whole different animal. I've got one and it will do anything in north America but it has tons recoil. Mine has served me well, I've used it for years but it has been religated to the back of the gun safe for a nice soft shooting 6.5 Grendel.

trentcwwilson
05-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Well, this isn't going to be designed for hunting. It may see use, but most likely not. I mainly want a hotter 357. It'll essentially be used for ringing steel to 200-300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Old Coach
05-01-2017, 05:04 PM
There's always the .357 Maximum. Big with guys who are addicted to T/C Encores. Be careful about chambering. The SAAMI reamer dimensions are for revolver cylinders, so the pilot is too small for .35 caliber rifle barrels. It tends to cut chambers off center. Read up on Mike Bellm's site about all that.

Both the .35 Rem and the .358 Win have short necks. Not optimum for heavy cast bullets. The Max avoids this trap.