PDA

View Full Version : Older 110

Tmoss 22-250
04-25-2017, 11:07 PM
I purchased a older 110E that is flat on the rear of the receiver. Would this still be a good project gun? Wanted to put a 6.5x284 Norma barrel on and build a hunting rifle.
Thanks Thomas

olddav
04-25-2017, 11:11 PM
I have a flatback Savage with a Shilen barrel chambered in 338-06. What letter does your serial number start with?

Tmoss 22-250
04-25-2017, 11:15 PM
E 960625

olddav
04-25-2017, 11:34 PM
It looks like it was built in 1988. You may be a bit limited in stock selection due it being a stagger feed.

big honkin jeep
04-26-2017, 01:25 AM
Still be a good project gun? Old flatbacks are the best "Project guns" in my opinion and pretty much where all this "Savage shooters" enjoyment started out.
I love to tinker the old flat backs because so many aspects of the original factory parts can be improved rather than depending on spending cash on aftermarket.
Don't get me wrong, they can be great shooters right out of the box with nothing more than a great load.
Some of my favorite DIY upgrades include:
(I'd start with this one) Replacing the trigger spring with one made of .043 piano wire from the hardware or music store and then tuning the trigger. http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?130-Factory-3-Screw-Trigger-Adjustment-Procedures
Bedding the action to the stock using shoe polish as release agent and epoxy ( I like JB weld) as bedding compound, and then maybe refinishing/ gussying up the stock. A gazillion free and cheap modifications like plastic white line spacers cut from a sheetrock mud bucket, to faux ebony fore ends done with stain, to stains, sealers, paints, camo, carvings, brass medallions, heck let your imagination and creativity run wild. (tons of ideas and know how here on the site)
Adding a home made bolt lift kit (using 38 special brass and a ball bearing) and cleaning up and polishing the cocking ramp.
These things can be done for very little cash and make an old flatback your own creation.
Caliber is up to you as long as the action length and bolt head are compatible.
Good luck and let her rip. Post pics and share progress as you go.

Tmoss 22-250
04-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Thanks for info. I'm stopping by the music store today. That trigger has lots of potential it just needs alittle TLC. I'm probably going with a shilen barrel but it will need a heavier recoil lug this one is already bent. I like the looks of the choate varmit stock so it shouldn't be to hard to find. I'll start posting pictures along the way.
Thanks again for the info
Thomas

Hotolds442
04-26-2017, 10:55 AM
It would be a good project gun providing it has a bolt face like the one pictured on the left. If the bolt face looks like the one on the right, you will need the services of a gunsmith for barrel fitting, or a newer style complete bolt.
http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y471/chevypowrd/Rifles/F5D6ADB5-071D-4BFE-A70D-5BF49ED177AC_zps23vh283e.jpg

cchgn
05-02-2017, 04:40 PM
I have a 100E (Ser#DXX) series K. Can't find info on the "K" series ( afa what the series is). BTw the bolt has a "7286" scratched on it.

Gowah
07-09-2019, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Hotolds442;405593]It would be a good project gun providing it has a bolt face like the one pictured on the left. If the bolt face looks like the one on the right, you will need the services of a gunsmith for barrel fitting, or a newer style complete bolt.

Interesting I have a bolt like the one on the left I have an older Savage e852128 ( 1987) I started a project to convert the now 7mm bolt face and barrel to a 30-06 I have been reading about the loads and projectiles available and am interested in turning it into a hot rod project i call it lol. I am having a problem finding a bolt face, does anyone know where I have been everywhere and their either out of stock of do not deal with older parts

6mmBR_Shooter
07-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Here's one... Not sure about your firing pin though.

www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-3006-270-2506-bolt-head (http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts/savage-bolt-head/savage-3006-270-2506-bolt-head)

"
Firing PinsSavage rifles have two different diameter firing pins.The standard caliber firing pins are .145", the Magnum calibers are .095". These measurements are taken on the part of the firing pin that goes thru the cross pin.All rifles made since 2001 have .095" diameter firing pins. The bolt heads are different for each of the pin diameters."

If you started off with a magnum rifle that has the magnum size firing pin, from the looks of it you should be good to go with this bolt head.

PhilC
07-09-2019, 06:36 PM
I believe the bolt head on the right in Hotolds picture would be for pre-66 actions only.

DesertDug
07-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Yes sir, 110e's are just fine to work on. Best triger imho.

Coyote_Hunter
07-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Picked up a 7mm RM flat-back 111 for $295 out the door. The barrel was toast (pitted and rust inside and out) but it was purchased as a donor with every intent to rebarrel. In working with SIL's brother's flatback .270 Win (he's in the Navy but will be elk hunting with us this fall), I discovered that not every scope will fit in the two-piece bases. (We were switching from a Simmons to a Nikon.) The problem is the two-piece bases require a long 1" tube, which the new scope lacked. The solution was to get a EGW one-piece rail. I liked the solution so well (can now use any scope) I got another rail for my own 111.

Beyond that issue, I don't see any downside to a flat-back as a builder. For my rifle the birch stock is just fine - it is fairly light and will likely get a bedded with a homespun paint job rather than a replacement stock. (I'm a cheap bastard, more concerned about functionality than looks.)

6mmBR_Shooter
07-10-2019, 10:56 AM
There are also a few one piece Weaver rails that show up on ebay from time to time. I prefer the EGW myself.