PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Varmint vs Prairie Hunter

Sponxx
04-25-2017, 01:38 PM
Talking about Boyd's stocks, and reading different posts and info. It appears the weight is the same, and the difference is mainly grip angle, butt hook and forearm width. Seems like comb height is the same?
I have bene unable to find any actual photos of how the forearm of the PV and PH looks from above/below.
Trying to decide for a Savage 110 Sendero countour 243win, grip angle appears more comfortable for bench/prone on the PV, less so for stalk/carry. Although this gun function is not to be carried much, more a range toy/some sitting waiting if making afield.

SageRat Shooter
04-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Sponxx,

You're in luck... I have both of those stocks. You are correct in all of your assumptions... I am more partial to the Pro Varmint (for bench and prone shooting specifically) The comb height is pretty close to the same, but the PV has a level comb where the PH has a "drop comb" lower in the front and higher towards the butt. THE PV is more universal (shoot it from either side). The Prairie Hunter is nice for packing around, but the comb is designed for either right or left specific. Additionally, the Prairie hunter barrel channel can only be opened up to accommodate a Heavy Sporter Barrel contour. If you want to go with a Varmint contour (or close to it) you will want to get the PV as it will accommodate a Bull if necessary.

The forend of the PV is a "beavertail" design probably 2-3 inches wide. The PH is more of a Standard "stalker/walker" type forend size with finger grooves.

J.Baker
04-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Here's a bottom view of the PH forearm

And here's a comparison of a Boyds Heritage (similar to PH), a SSS Pro-Hunter (2.125" wide at tip), and a Stockade Woodchuck (2.25" wide at tip) The PV would probably be closest to the Stockade Woodchuck.

Sponxx
05-01-2017, 12:16 AM
This is very very useful information. Thank you very much.
For the current purposes of the gun , I feel like the Pro-Varmint will work better at this point. The Sendero contour is fairly bulky and heavy, and the gun is not a light weight, so a slim forearm would not bring any benefit.
I sis some mods to the factory tupperware stock, more for fun and trialing out comb heights, grip comfort, etc... and of course sponge painting it with the kids. Coloring looks nice, feels comfy but the bedding and pillar added ended up with the barrel/action sitting on the stock a little over their "midline" or water level... should work until I get the PV and work it out for pillars and bedding.
Now if only I could get time to shoot

I'll put some pics in Mr. Furious threads with the painted factory tupperstock