PDA

View Full Version : Question about bolt parts

Pastprime
04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
I took the bolt of my 2007 BVSS apart today to see if I could improve the lift effort by a little polishing, and found a couple interesting things. First these two parts came out when I removed the plug:

I know where they go but can't find a picture of them on any of the diagrams I see on the internet. Are they factory parts or not?

And worse, i found this:

Probably was not helping the lift effort. I need to know whether this part is one that has not changed for a long time or if I need to look for one for my made in 2007 rifle. I assume this is something Savage would sell.

Hank

J.Baker
04-25-2017, 01:15 PM
The first two pictures are of what we refer to as the "bolt lift kit." It's basically the case head from a .38 Spl with a detent ball in the primer pocket, and it's inserted into the rear of the bolt assembly just under the BAS (bolt assembly screw). The BAS also has to be shortened slightly to accommodate this mod. The principle at work is that the detent ball offers up less friction against the face of the BAS due to a much smaller area of contact and thus helps lighten bolt lift. It's a DIY thing that's been well covered on this site over the years.

That last picture appears to be a broken adjustment nut fort he firing pin assembly. If you look at the photo in the following link it's sandwiched between the firing pin spring and the cocking piece. It's used to adjust the firing pin protrusion.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?167-Savage-110-Bolt-Assembly-Parts

(http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?167-Savage-110-Bolt-Assembly-Parts)I'm not aware of any changes to this part over the years, but I'm not sure if Savage would sell that part separate or not. I don't think it's something that Brownells or MidwayUSA carries. Maybe try Numrich's as they could have one from a parts gun they bought.

Pastprime
04-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Thank you for the information. My BAS has not been shortened so I don't know whether the lift kit parts made the lift harder or easier. I may not reinstall the two parts since I don't have a good way to shorten the BAS and keep everything exactly square. I see that a replacement for the broken cocking piece lock washer is available from Brownell's so I'll probably get one from them since there is nothing model specific. One from Numrich would probably be used and I'd rather have new.

I do appreciate the response.

Hank

sharpshooter
04-25-2017, 05:21 PM
That "bolt lifter" kit is a hack job......and it would make it harder to cock. The cocking piece lock washer is busted as a result of an over pressured load causing a blanked primer.

hereinaz
04-25-2017, 06:44 PM
That "bolt lifter" kit is a hack job......and it would make it harder to cock. The cocking piece lock washer is busted as a result of an over pressured load causing a blanked primer.
Grateful when sharpshooter weighs in on anything... He just disabused me of any notion of the "lift kit" I ever had.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

foxx
04-25-2017, 07:51 PM
^^^^Hold on. Sharpshooter did not say that kind of lift kit isn't any good. He said that particular one was part of a hack job. When done properly, its a good mod.

hereinaz
04-25-2017, 08:01 PM
^^^^Hold on. Sharpshooter did not say that kind of lift kit isn't any good. He said that particular one was part of a hack job. When done properly, its a good mod.
I'm only capable of hack jobs, so it is still out of my skill set, lol...

Thanks for the clarification Foxx.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
04-25-2017, 08:54 PM
we can do it together and make it better.