PDA

View Full Version : stevens action build

gotcha
08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
considering a stevens short action for vermin gun build. Was raised on the theory that "the stiffer the action the more likely to deliver top accuracy". (possibley an old wives tale) Present rifle is mod. 12 single shot based on this theory. To those that have built Stevens' in short action calibers like 6br, 6&6.5X47, 22/250 etc. w/ match bbls. What kind of accuracy can you achieve? would you build another one? Which of these actions will accept a SSS match trigger? Any input from those that have actually built this type rifle would be greatfully appreciated. tanx, dale

fatdaddy
08-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey Dale,
I'v built 2 on a stevens action. One with a Mcgowan Barrel in 6mm br. Used a rifle basix trigger on this one and it will shoot well under .5 once and a while. It's my brides long range pdog rig and she will kill at 600 + regularly. The other is a shielan in 22-250 A.I., this one has a SSS trigger in it and is a fine rig too. This my go to gun for shooting eggs at 300 yards and works the pdogs well too. I can get under .5" at least once every time we shoot paper. Its got to the point I prefer a stainless receiver and have made friends with the target accu trigger. I now just pony up for the model 12 ss action from Jim at northland. Good luck, Bill

snowgetter1
08-26-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a stevens 223 standard from the factory with a little home trigger work and it will put 15 shots under 1 inch at 100.

KMAY
08-26-2010, 09:20 PM
I was just at the range today while FF some brass for my 223 ai and put 3shots into a group that measured 5/8ths of and in outside to outside. This is with a unkown factory stevens barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. only other thing that has been touched was adjusting the trigger.

tammons
08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I dont think a 223 has enough recoil to make much difference with a stiffer action.
A stevens action will do fine.

If you put a top barrel on it, recoil lug, good stock and bed it, SSS trigger, EGW or Farrel base, good rings, high end scope, its pretty easy to
get 1/4" - 3/8" groups with the right load with very little work.

I had a factory 12 VLP 223 7 twist, and I regularly shot 1/4-3/8" groups.
For some reason it took a while to get it to settle down. Probably had
a few barrel defects.

Now if I get a factory barrel that does not tight out of the box, I will sometimes run some tubbs
FF bullets through it and that usually cuts the groups in half.

82boy
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Was raised on the theory that "the stiffer the action the more likely to deliver top accuracy". (possibley an old wives tale) Present rifle is mod. 12 single shot based on this theory.

You have answered your question. There is no proof that a single shot action is any more accurate than a repeater action, this also goes for a short actions compaired to a long action. There comes a point where an action is stiff enough and anything past that is just overkill, and the savage 110 repeater action has proven to do that.

To those that have built Stevens' in short action calibers like 6br, 6&6.5X47, 22/250 etc. w/ match bbls. What kind of accuracy can you achieve?

I have built Stevens 200 that will shoot 5 shoot 100 yard groups in the mid .3 area all day long with factory barrels. I have an old model 11 Savage that is the exact same action as the Stevens and with all the work that has been done to it, the gun will shoot 5 shoot 100 yard groups that average in the .2's, the gun has shot many 5 shot 100 yard groups in the .1's with best of a .122 .

would you build another one? Which of these actions will accept a SSS match trigger? Any input from those that have actually built this type rifle would be gratefully appreciated. tanx, dale

Would I build another yes, but if money was not a consideration I would rather build a rifle on a rblp target action, so that I could have it opened up into a dual port. This is truly the cats meow, and the most comfortable way to shoot. All Stevens 200 actions will accept a SSS trigger, so will all Savage 110 style actions.

cking817
08-27-2010, 06:08 PM
^ what he said :D

gotcha
08-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks to all for the input. :) I think I'll be building a switch bbl. on a Stevens or mod.10 action.It feels like the hook is firmly anchored in my jaw and you guys are reeling me in. Is this going to hurt much?