PDA

View Full Version : boyds mag well question

ohihunter2014
04-22-2017, 06:54 PM
I seen something while researching boyds stocks where a guy had a metal magazine latch instead of the plastic one boyds gives. anyone know where to get one at?

also I think I made up my mind but want your guys opinion. I have an axis heavy barrel 223rem topped with a 6-18 vortex and I think medium burris z rings. I shoot the factory stock very well but I'm very torn what stock to get. At first I wanted a thumbhole but I don't like not being able to let other shoot it and no offhand shots. now I'm looking at the classic and prairie hunter. I mainly shoot off a bench and sitting or prone bipod. what stock do you guys think would be a good setup for the scope/rings and type of shooting I'm doing?

my plan now is classic, normal LOP, stippling, nutmeg, metal trigger guard.

J.Baker
04-22-2017, 09:12 PM
V3 Tactical sells them.

http://www.v3tactical.com/front-mounting-clip-pillar-kit-for-savage-axis/

SageRat Shooter
04-24-2017, 12:06 PM
If you're a right hand shooter, look at the Pro Varmint first, then the Prairie hunter. I have both styles and prefer the PV over the Prairie Hunter, although the PV is on a 11/111 as apposed to the Axis.

J.Baker
04-24-2017, 02:35 PM
The heritage and Prairie Hunter are pretty much identical in the grip and buttstock areas - the difference is in the forend. The Prairie Hunter has a finger groove down the sides of the forend and if you get checkering it will only be a slim panel down the side, not a single panel that wraps around the bottom of the forend. The Heritage omits the finger grooves and you can have the full wrap checkering. Having both I prefer the Heritage. The Classic on the other hand has a straight comb which many are more used to these days. IIRC the forend on the Classic is the same or very similar to that on the Heritage. With a bipod or a #1 front bag all three are plenty capable of shooting small groups from the bench or prone position.

The Pro Varmint, IMO, is a little bulkier and heavier which makes it great for a sit and shoot gun (prairie dogging, range shooting, etc). However, I don't know if I would want to be carrying it while walking a few miles of RR tracks or fence rows hunting critters.