PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: POI NOT Changing With Bullet Brand..?

Josh Smith
08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Hello,

I have a Savage MkII in .22LR.

When I first got it, there was a definite change in impact with change in bullet brand.

I got to playing around with the barrel - first I just put a Limbsaver damper on it, but then got to thinking about putting a controlled pressure point right in front of the action, so I did that, then I read someplace on the 'net about using rubber O-rings to reduce harmonics.

So my rifle looks like this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Savage%20Mag%20Fix/Savage%20Sear%20Fix/Savage%20Set%20Trigger/AbethePhotobomb.jpg

Before, I'd have changes in impact if I changed bull type. Since those rubber mods, it's not been doing that, which is something I thought was not possible.

If I have a given bullet weight at a given velocity, I will still hit what I'm aiming at, down to a dime, at 50 yards with another bullet of the same weight and speed, but different brand.

With different weights and/or speeds, I may or may not have to adjust elevation.

Regardless, brand just doesn't seem to matter WRT POI any longer. Group sizes still change, but I can break it in with Blazer and shoot Mini-Mags, Winchester, Federal American Eagle, Federal Champion, Remington bulk, and heck, I don't know what all else I found in my stash.

The one other thing I'm doing is resizing almost everything I shoot to .225". This is what the chamber slugs out to. In other words, I'm sizing the ammo up so that the chamber acts like a semi-match chamber.

Comments?

Thanks,

Josh

EFBell
08-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Heck, thats a good thing!

rpavich
10-10-2010, 08:34 AM
I found the same thing...If I put the "big-black-doughnut" on my barrel, it really helped everything...but I just couldn't get past that look....now I just don't change ammo...

kentucky gunner
10-15-2010, 04:58 AM
i have match rifles. we use barrel tuners on them. what we do is start with three different speeds of ammo and change the wieghts on the barrel to get as much verticle out as we can. after we reach that point we start adjusting the adjustment ring on the turner to bring the bullets into one hole. it is called the hopewell mythod of tuning. what you have done is tune the muzzle to where the bullets will leave at the perfect time to hit the target where you aim. look up bill calfee on the net. he is the best rimfire smith in the united states. he has many articles un precision shooting on the subject. he calls it a stopped muzzle. there is a big rage over proving him wrong. one man is a engineer and his studies sound perfect till you take it to other engineers and they back up bill calfee(not a engineer. just been shooting rimfires since the 40's in matches).

what size groups are you getting out of this rifle? it is ugly as a mud fence in a rain storm, but if it works so be it!!!

Golfbuddy45
10-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Although I have been shooting handguns and rifles for 50 years I am a relative novice at fine target shooting. My MKII BSEV shoots fantastic - dime size groups at 50 yards. But I am surprised to hear that these rubber buggy bumpers have that much affect on .22 caliber barrels considering the almost no recoil on them. I am going to have to look more into this method you mention but I do hate to mess with the look of my baby though!!!!

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/SavageMKIIBSEVRightSide.jpg

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Harmonics are prevalent in all calibers, including rimfires. Rimfires can benefit by using anything that will make the harmonics more consistent. As a general rule in all of my rimfires I try using a foam earplug between the barrel and the stock as a pressure pad. This makes the harmonics more consistent and the guns shoot more consistently. For most of my guns it does help some.

The black donut is tuneable as well. By moving it back and forth on the barrel I am sure there is a sweet spot where the gun will shoot magnitudes better than any other position. The foam ear plug is tuneable in the same way. I start with it about 1" from the end of the stock and move it rearward 1" at a time until I find the sweet spot.

Dolomite

Golfbuddy45
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Josh - that looks like a left handed MKII BTVS (or BTVLSS). I have ordered a 93 BTVS (.22 Magnum) to complement my MKII BSEV and my .22 Magnum revolver. I plan to shoot mostly HORNADY EVOLUTION ammo in my Magnum but I found that the most common .22 high speed rounds produced the tightest target groups in my .22LR BSEV - even better than much more expensive MATCH and ELEY rounds.
It will be interesting to see how the BTVS .22Magnum shoots. It will be the same gun you have except right handed and Magnum.

I will have to think seriously about all the donuts. I have never seen anyone at any range shooting a gun looking like that.

kentucky gunner
11-11-2010, 12:52 AM
you guys have missed it altogether. a pressure point isn't going to get what you are looking for. what he has done is he has got the rifle barrel muzzle tuned for more than one speed of ammo. the faster the ammo the lower the muzzle is when the buulet exits. the slower the ammo the higher the muzzle is. it will put different speeds of ammo into the same group.

to get all you can out of it you will use a barrel tuner. these rubber barrel tuners don't get them as good as a harrels or rva tuner does. we can put a wide spread of ammo into one hole with our rifles. these savages aren't going to do it. i even had one rebarreled with a shilens 4 groove ratchet barrel and it won't do it. the action is the fualt. it is of a bad design. just like the centerfires the action is the major problem with savage rifles. they do not lend themselve to making a great match rifle.

Golfbuddy45
11-11-2010, 02:20 AM
"it is of a bad design. just like the centerfires the action is the major problem with savage rifles. they do not lend themselve to making a great match rifle."

Hmmmmmm - that sure is going to surprise all those TEAM SAVAGE guys who have set numerous scoring records this year and won practically every match they have entered with their BADLY DESIGNED SAVAGE RIFLES........

kentucky gunner
12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
the centerfire target actions are nice. i've personally seen many and have seen many outshot by custom actions. not remingtons or winchester actions. i mean made from scratch action on a cnc machine. the bat,viper,panda,hall and a handful of other actions are much better designed. you also don't see them putting out factory sponcered teams either!!! they let the shooting world do it for them.

i wouldn't trade my bat actioned 30br for 5 of the savage target actioned rifle period. i do believe the savage target action is the best mass produced action on the market today. it is far from the best action on the market sad to say.

the rimfire actions are very baddly designed. they are good low buck rifles. i really get a kick out of guys posting groups in pictures you can plainly see 4 or 5 bullet holes wide calling them in the .1's or .2's!!! i'm still trying to figure out how they are measuring!!! .1's will look like 1 hole. i have had one rebarreled with a shilens 4 groove ratchet barrel. it has a tuner on it as well. still will not compete with a 40x,52,suhl 150 standard or any after market actioned rifles done the same way.