PDA

View Full Version : Vortex viper - what height mounts?

AMace
04-21-2017, 11:48 AM
I have a 110 Predator Hunter Max 1, and I'm going to be getting a Vortex Viper HsT 6-24x50mm with a 30mm tube. My choice of brand for the mounts is the viper specific mounts, (mainly because if there's any issue with the scope holding zero, it's one of the first questions I heard vortex will ask before getting into exchanges- so I plan on using all Vortex mounting stuff just in case I ever have an issue.). My big question is:
On the rifle, should I go with the high rings? (I'm assuming for a 50mm it's what I'll need, but Where none of this stuff is available locally, I'd rather buy right the first time than get into exchanges/returns)

tufrthnails
04-21-2017, 06:54 PM
I'd call vortex. you using their stuff.

Iowa Fox
04-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Here's what I do. I go to Vortex's web site and go to the model of their scope you are using. They have very detailed dimentions for each model, use the centerline of the scope and the obj diameter. Then I go to the rail mfg and get their dimention. Last but not least the ring mfg have dimentions on their site for each model so actually things work out easily. It's no secret I'm a big Vortex fan, EGW std base, and Burris Signature rings, either std or XTR. If your a dialer the thing to remember is that if you dial 10 MOA you want the reticle to move 10 MOA. If your just shooting crosshairs and never dial it no big deal.

NicfromAlabama
04-22-2017, 12:11 AM
I really doubt high rings are needed. I assume you want the scope as low as possible. I have two 50mm scopes. I have one with a 30mm tube and another one with a 1-inch tube that I just bought and mounted on on my recently acquired 12FV last week. I used a Warne one-piece base on both rifles. Ring height for both rifles were LOW. Brands were Warne Maxima vertical split rings for the 30mm tube and Leupold PRW for the 1-inch tube. If I am looking correctly, the Vortex Viper rings are a bit higher than the Warnes and Leupold rings I used. Below is a picture of my older rifle with the 30mm tube scope with 50mm objective, Warne low rings, Warne 20 MOA base. I don't have any of the 12FV I just mounted the other scope to, but I can take one if you think you want to see it. The scope bell on my 12FV is closer to the barrel than the one pictured below, but it is a 1-inch tube and the Leupold rings are a little lower I do believe. I think your base may be the deciding factor on whether you can get by with low rings or need to use medium rings. I don't think highs are necessary.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t496/nicfin36/IMG_0146_zpsht7bvqbe.jpg (http://s1062.photobucket.com/user/nicfin36/media/IMG_0146_zpsht7bvqbe.jpg.html)

SageRat Shooter
04-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Nic from Alabama helped me get my scope mounted right. I went with the 20 MOA "Blackhawk" rail and their Medium tactical rings. Scope is setting perfectly "in my opinion" just maybe 1/4" in of clearance. I don't think I can go any lower without the bell touching on the barrel.

I have the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP.

stoky
04-25-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm using medium height rings with a Vortec PST 6x24 50mm (w sunshade) on a 20moa Warne base on a heavy barrel Model 10.
hth

AMace
04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!! I knew I wasn't going to need extra highs, but I'll probably try the mediums in this case. Worst case scenario is I'll need to exchange them. :p