PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 varifiction...

MDQDM
04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Hi all, hoping someone can help me varify the specs of my Stevens 200. Here's what I have...
Barrel dia. is 1.0500" (measured on the threds, chamber end, original barrel), chamber for as a 308.
Barrel nut is 7/8" long
Action spacing is approximately 4.24"
Round top on action
Stager feed (mag is attached to action).

So, what am I working with here? Short action? Long action? Same as a Savage 10 or 110? Looking at ordering a new x caliber barrel in 223 wylde. What specs do I go with in relation to thread sizing? No dout I want to make sure I order the right size... Also any on drop a light Palma contour and a Stevens 200 in to a MDT chassis (lss or lss xl)? Issues?
Thanks.

scooterf79
04-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Short action
small shank
same as a savage 10.
You may need to change to a 223 size mag box and follower, if you're wanting to make it a repeater.
You'll need to change the bolt head to a 223 bolt face. Gunshack usually has them (one of our sponsors)
That should get you what you need for a barrel.
Don't forget, you'll need headspace gauge to set the headspace properly.
Can't really help you with the chassis question because I don't have one but lotta guys here run th chassis with heavier barrels.
Good luck, it's fun!
Scooter

MDQDM
04-21-2017, 08:39 AM
Scooter, thanks for the reply. You confirmed my thoughts. In talking with MDT, I was told I will need to cut off the existing mag (attached to the action) so it fits in the LSS/LSS XL. The external mag then fits and snaps into the chassis.
I have already picked up all the items needed to swap out the bolt head and the local GS will be installing the barrel cheaper then it will cost me for headspace gauges.

F

scooterf79
04-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Gotcha....umm, you won't need to cut off that mag box, it'll pop off with a screwdriver (it's best on the front end...if I remember correctly). Just wedge it in there and pry and they usually pop right out.
The barrels really are easy to change out, so if you ever get the bug for it, its not difficult at all.
Sounds like a good project!
Scooter

MDQDM
04-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the tip on the mag. I'll give that a try.

big honkin jeep
04-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Those older staggered feed blind mags are getting harder to find. Don't trash it.

scooterf79
04-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Those older staggered feed blind mags are getting harder to find. Don't trash it.
Very true! Keep it. I've got one extra I think but they don't come around as often as they used to.
Scooter

MDQDM
04-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I was able to get mine off last evening. I'll be sure to hold onto it. Now it's time to pick a barrel... Leaning towards an x-caliber barrel from directly from x-caliber (as I can select a light palma contour) (which I prefer) or the light varmint contour from ragged hole barrels. I want an 8 twist with a 24-26 barrel.

Do you think it's work getting the 1/2-28 threads now? Money is a bit tight and figured I could always have them added later from the local GS (but at a higher price).

RustyShackle
04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
I was in the same boat as you. Thread now or forever hold your peace. Lol.

scooterf79
04-22-2017, 08:50 PM
Cool, I'd hang on to it..[emoji106]

I was in the same boat as you. Thread now or forever hold your peace. Lol.
Probably good advice. If you do it now, you won't ever have to worry about it. Especially if you're even thinking about it as a possibility in the future.
Scooter