PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a 270 down for suppressor

Xxtavixx
04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Hello everyone,

Kind of an add question here. Ive got a116 (with a backwards bolt) thats currently threaded at 22" for my suppressor - which adds 8" on to it. Ive been keeping an eye out for a take off 260, creedmoor or 7mm-08 stainless for a while but im just not having luck.

So Im starting to heavily consider cutting the barrel down to 18" or under to see how ot does. Most of my hunting in FL is under 100 yards and i mostly head shoot hogs, and for longer shots i have a 7mag with a theeaded 24" which is just ridiculously long...

So, how would a 16.5-18" 270 do with a suppressor? I know shorter rounds are more effecient, but ive working with what i have right now. Im not worried about the velocity too much, its still gonna be more than enough to shoot inside 300 yards. Should i keep looking for a short action and keep butdgeting for an aftermarket barrel if one doesnt come around?

so far the best day that I've got is people using 15 inch contender barrels and they seem to do pretty well actually. I've even found some load data where it appears 2600 ft./s is pretty easy to obtain

gbflyer
04-19-2017, 09:02 PM
It would be just fine in my opinion. Probably fairly obnoxious muzzle blast if you shoot it without the can but with, should be real nice.

Xxtavixx
04-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Thanks! Thats more or less my thinking. Ive come accross a good deal on a 260 er shaw barrel, so im a bit torn between them! Really feeling a 6.5 bullet, though ive got all the reloading stuff and plenty of brass for the 270

snowgetter1
04-23-2017, 10:58 PM
A safe bet is to subtract about 25fps per inch of barrel cut. Varies obviously, but usually hovers around 25fps per inch.

jpdown
04-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Since you already have a 7mag, an ER Shaw SS sporter barrel, which is easier to find, in 7mm08 cut to length and threaded would makes more sense to me. Wider range of lighter and heavier 7mm bullets with good BC. Nothing magical about a 260 or 6.5 Creed for your intended use.

SageRat Shooter
04-24-2017, 10:40 AM
I've been developing a load for my 270 using the 145 ELD-X. Out of my 22" barrel I'm only getting 2690 fps... I've used several different powders to try and get the MV up, but it seems to want to top out just under 2700 fps.

dwm
04-26-2017, 01:56 PM
There's always the Berger 170grain in 270, you will need a 8 twist or so, especially for subsonic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

darkker
04-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Hello everyone,

Kind of an add question here. Ive got a116 (with a backwards bolt) thats currently threaded at 22" for my suppressor - which adds 8" on to it. Ive been keeping an eye out for a take off 260, creedmoor or 7mm-08 stainless for a while but im just not having luck.

So Im starting to heavily consider cutting the barrel down to 18" or under to see how ot does. Most of my hunting in FL is under 100 yards and i mostly head shoot hogs, and for longer shots i have a 7mag with a theeaded 24" which is just ridiculously long...

So, how would a 16.5-18" 270 do with a suppressor? I know shorter rounds are more effecient, but ive working with what i have right now. Im not worried about the velocity too much, its still gonna be more than enough to shoot inside 300 yards. Should i keep looking for a short action and keep butdgeting for an aftermarket barrel if one doesnt come around?

so far the best day that I've got is people using 15 inch contender barrels and they seem to do pretty well actually. I've even found some load data where it appears 2600 ft./s is pretty easy to obtain If the length for operation is your concern, you should be fine. The concern is always a baffle strike, right? So what is a general standard as far as some for warranty, is 1.5 turns before entering the suppressor.

squirrel_slayer
04-26-2017, 05:56 PM
the more over bore the cartridge is, the more your going to abuse the can and more velocity your going to lose per inch of barrel. now if you handload you can download the round into 6.8 spc territory which is still plenty to slap down some hogs. best thing is you can use bullets tailored to that cartridge which will expand/penetrate correctly for that intended velocity.

as for barrel length I'd say only go as short as you need to, mostly to preserve the suppressor. the shorter it is the more it's going to beat up the can(ie. erode baffles) you also need to ensure there's enough meat to have a good shoulder for the suppressor to sit against. I would go no less than 1/2x28. with 5/8x24 being more ideal (again assuming there's enough material for a decent shoulder) but your suppressor may dictate the thread size as well???