PDA

View Full Version : Dented scope tube caused verticle adjustment failure?

flyinsquirel
08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, looks like I'm going to get to try out Minox's no fault warranty. Finally decided to retire my trusty old Simmons Aetec, and have been pretty happy with my Minox HG binoculars so decided to give one of there new scopes a try when I saw them on sale at Camera Land.

I mounted the scope up in a new set of Talley lightweights and proceeded to bore sight it. While turning the verticle down the crosshairs quit moving about an inch high and I could feel less resistance in the dial. It kept turning, but nothing was happening. Tried turning it back up and still nothing until it reached what appears to be the same bad spot then the crosshairs started moving up. Tried it a few times and it stopped in the same spot every time. Removed the scope to package it back up and send it back when I noticed this.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/flyinsquirel/DSCF0180r.jpg

Kinda hard to see, but it's crushed in pretty much the whole bottom half of the scope. The top half did not compress.

1. Did the denting of the tube cause the verticle to go haywire or was this just a bad scope from the get go?
2. Is it normal for Talley lightweight rings to have a gap between the top half of the ring and the bottom? I seem to remember most of my other rings seating fully when tight. I did not fully seat the top half's and I still dented it.
3. Is there a correct ft/in lbs to tighten ring screws to or do you all just snug them up?

Flyin

rjtfroggy
08-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Did you try and put a 30mm tube into 1" rings?
None of my rings close completely around the scope there is always a small space.
Most makers of rings recommend 18-20 in/lbs for their rings.

BobT
08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Did you lap the rings before mounting the scope ?

EFBell
08-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I seriously doubt that would hurt anything. Years ago it was not such an issue with having "Ring Marks" on a scope. People did not play musical scopes so much like they do now (myself included). It used to mean that it was well seated and was not going to move under recoil.

flyinsquirel
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I measured the scope tube and it's definitely a 1". I didn't lap because Talley reccomends against it.
Since they advertise no fault warranty I suppose that it doesn't matter anyway, just wanted to know if I caused it or not. Sounds like it might have been bad from the get go.

Thanks for the responses. I'll update on their customer service when I hear form them.

Smokey262
08-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Throw the Talleys away and get Burris Signature Zee rings. Viola! No more scope tube damage

Don - LongRangeSupply
08-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Much more than 25 inch pounds will crush almost any scope tube.

Doing so can damage / impede the side focus as well as the adjustment mechanisms.

NEVER just tighten down the ring tops. 15 to 25 inch pounds or follow the makers recommendation.

If you don't have a torque driver then only use the SMALL end of the wrench to tighten the screws. If you use the long end you can impart as much as 300% more torque than required for proper installation.

Dirk
08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
flyinsquirel,

Sorry to say, but you did it! :'(

flyinsquirel
09-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Dirk - I figured as much. It did not affect the horizontal movement though so I just wasn't sure.

Well finally got around to sending it in and the Minox Warranty rep told me he doesn't think it was caused by denting the tube. They are going to have their 'expert' look it over and they'll let me know what he thinks. He said it would be about a two week turn around, so we'll see how fast it makes it back here.

flyinsquirel
11-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Well, finally got a new scope in the mail last week after having to call & remind them. So much for a 2 week turnaround........
See if I can keep from breaking this one

GaCop
12-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Other than time, looks like the did right by you.

flyinsquirel
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Correct. Plenty happy with getting a new scope after most likely breaking it myself. Was just hoping for a faster turnaround is all. Scope is excellent optically.