PDA

View Full Version : Correct ammo for older Savage

Shibbershabber
04-15-2017, 01:44 AM
Hey all

I picked up a Savage 40 in 30-06

Looks like somewhere along the line the stock had been done... somehow, it has a very interesting look to it as well as all metal surfaces being polished. yeah, Its a weird one.

Anyhow, since the rifle is 70 years old or so... I assume that its not strong enough to withstand modern loads.
No biggie as I handload. The question is, how low do I go? Assuming all available data today does not have this rifle in mind....

I load for a Garand which cannot have high pressure either, would a "Garand-Safe" load be old savage safe?????

Thoughts???

olddav
04-15-2017, 08:17 AM
The preasures for 30-06 ammo has not changed and assuming that the rifle has not been abused it should be ok. However if you just want to shoot reduced loads then just start at the low end (defined by a current reload manual). The reason you do not load a hot (full) load in a M1 Garand is due to the danger of damaging the rod in the gas ejection system. As usual, I'm just guessing.

I'm thinking you could damage the rear of the receiver while shooting commerical loads in a Garand.

RC20
04-15-2017, 12:29 PM
If it helps, I shoot Model of 1917 30 Caliber Enfield rifles made in (of all things) in 1917 and 1918 (6 of them!)

I don't short the loads though I don't push them max either.

I have my step dads 30-06 1013 I shoot, throat is pretty far gone but no trepidation to shoot that one.

I would say shoot a mild load in it but not too mild (some odd things can happen if you go to low so book low)

Make sure the chamber is ok, i.e. no printing of cracks or distortion on the case.

I only say that as we shot my dads 1903A3 Sporter for years and then one day my brother shot it and a case came out with the worst marks I have ever seen.

We replaced the barrel on it.

I suspect with todays guns you can actually go higher than the specification on made for 30-06, not that I encourage that, its got plenty.

Certainly mid upper is fine.

If I have any trepidation about those era guns its the gas control and that is a case failure issue not a chamber.

On the other hand, I saw the remnants of a guy blowing up a modern Model 70 good gas control gun at the range one day.

The barrel wound up 15 feet down range, scope went into his teeth, receiver split and blown all to (*&

So much for gas control. No idea what the underling cause was though all the evidence was he was shooting reloads.

Shibbershabber
04-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Good times

My only other -06 is a Garand so I've got some HXP and my reloads are low pressure too.
I think it'll be fine.

It looks well cared for and not shot out... Maybe a headspace check is in order, just in case.

I'll put a pic up later. Definitely an interesting one.

RC20
04-15-2017, 07:35 PM
For sure, did not know there was a Savage 40 center fire larger caliber.

Heads space check is always a good idea.

As good if you can manage it is a Boroscope check, I got one of the new Lyamns and it works very good, I don't think a Hawkeye would do a better job at least of guns.

HXP seems a bit on the hot side to me, I seldom shoot it now.

Ok in Garand's I gather but I think that is a burn rate pressure curve thing.

Not sure what the tip of the HXP is made of, metallic but I came across reference than the Cupra and other formulas can be that.

Shibbershabber
04-16-2017, 04:09 AM
well...

seems I'm not allowed to post pictures.

bigedp51
04-16-2017, 04:30 AM
Hey all

I picked up a Savage 40 in 30-06

Anyhow, since the rifle is 70 years old or so... I assume that its not strong enough to withstand modern loads.

Thoughts???

A chain is only as strong as its weakest and the American SAAMI sets the pressure standards for its cartridges. Meaning the chamber pressure standards for the 30-06 are set by the oldest firearms still in use.

You also still have military WWI 03 Springfield's and M1917 Enfields 30-06 rifles being fired today.

The 30-06 is rated at 60,000 psi "BUT" if you neck the 30-06 down to .270 it is rated at 65,000 psi and the .270 came out in 1925

The steel in your rifle is still as hard as the day it was made and as long as your headspace is within limits your good to go.

Bottom line, my newest British Enfield rifle was made in 1949 and I shoot it all the time and its 68 years old along with my 1906 dated Enfield thats 111 years old.
And my M1 Grand was made in 1943 is 74 years old and is fires several 100 rounds a year.

Cartridge Pressure Standards
http://kwk.us/pressures.html

olddav
04-16-2017, 09:14 PM
Ok in Garand's I gather but I think that is a burn rate pressure curve thing.

I should have offered a more detail explanation in my post but assumed the OP was familiar with the quirks of loading for the Garand. Didn't think about the uninformed (not referring to RC20 or any other member) reading the post at a later date. Thanks for bring up the details.