PDA

View Full Version : Long Action and Side Mag Detach

idunham
04-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Hey All,

I picked up a used Savage 111 30-06 with a side detachable magazine for $249. The rifle is in incredible condition for what i paid for it.

I have questions about it though.

With a Savage 111, can i build a 7mm rem mag. off of the long action? Or should i be looking for a Magnum action?

Second Question: Can i convert the Side Detachable Mag to a different release? How hard and how expensive is this process?

Thanks,
Isaiah

hereinaz
04-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Congrats on the great buy.

Change the bolt head, barrel, and magazine follower for a 7mm rem.

Should be able to put it in a centerfeed blind mag stock or centerfeed mag stock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

idunham
04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Should be able to put it in a centerfeed blind mag stock or centerfeed mag stock.

Will i have to change hardware to convert it from side mag detach? I'd like to keep the concept of a magazine.

hereinaz
04-13-2017, 12:21 PM
You can get a new stock and bottom metal with a detachable magazine. I think you can change to a centerfeed detachable magazine set up. Lots of options. Start researching.

Search the forum and you will get an idea. There are articles and explanations. Dig through the site. Google what you want to do.

Robinhood
04-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Better of buying a used rifle like you want it. Keep that one like it is.

If you have to have a 7mm on that rifle go with a 280/7mm express. No changes but the barrel. If you need 7mmRemMag velocities make it a 280 AI.

You could always do a 7mm08 or a 7mm mauser.

idunham
04-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Better of buying a used rifle like you want it. Keep that one like it is.

If you have to have a 7mm on that rifle go with a 280/7mm express. No changes but the barrel. If you need 7mmRemMag velocities make it a 280 AI.

You could always do a 7mm08 or a 7mm mauser.

With what your saying, is there a problem going to a 7mm rem mag off of a long action?

hereinaz
04-13-2017, 04:06 PM
With what your saying, is there a problem going to a 7mm rem mag off of a long action?
See post #2 re changes.

What he was saying is you are better off finding a used magnum rifle when it comes to cost benefit, especially of you just get a cheap barrel. It is that a 30-06 needs lots of parts changes that a magnum rifle won't. But, the calibers he mentioned won't need a change in anything but barrel, because the bolt head is the same.

And, I agree to a large extent, unless you are gonna strip it down and build a nice custom. You are already talking hundreds of dollars to change the stock and bottom metal to get away from the side mag release.

So, it all depends on your purpose, budget, etc. Unless you are gonna build a full custom, starting with your gun to a plain 7mm is not cost effective. But, you will learn a lot.

I tore down a 30-06 to build a 7mm, as my first build too, but it ended up as a 25-06 after I found a cheap magnum action---just like he said, because it was a lot of unnecessary cost and effort for me to do what you are doing.

Go for it if you want, but it wont be any cheaper than selling your 30-06 and buying a magnum, unless there is some strange shortage or cost to you getting a rifle.

hereinaz
04-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Be warned, I now have 4 custom barreled savages, have sold or traded off Savages, and have a few factory guns in plastic or upgraded to laminate stocks...

idunham
04-13-2017, 06:13 PM
I already built a custom .243, so it isn't quite my first rodeo, but will be my second for sure.

My plan was to put a rifle basix trigger on it, swap out the bolt face, and change the stock. So it would be a custom for sure.

I was also looking at going with a Douglas barrel for the end build.

The biggest questions is verifying that I can use the long action for the 7mm mag, and if I can convertthe side detachable magazine to a bottom detachable magazine.

hereinaz
04-13-2017, 09:32 PM
I already built a custom .243, so it isn't quite my first rodeo, but will be my second for sure.

My plan was to put a rifle basix trigger on it, swap out the bolt face, and change the stock. So it would be a custom for sure.

I was also looking at going with a Douglas barrel for the end build.

The biggest questions is verifying that I can use the long action for the 7mm mag, and if I can convertthe side detachable magazine to a bottom detachable magazine.
Yes, and yes to your big questions.

Robinhood
04-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks herinaz, One way you could determine the cost of your build is to do a spreasheet or list of parts.
Your build will need:

1. Magnum Bolt head
2. Stock for Blind Stagger feed magazine or stock for custom bottom metal
3. 7mm blind magazine and follower or custom bottom metal and DB magazine.
4. 7mm Barrel
5 Your rifle stripped

Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed 7mm Rem Mag rifle with the type of magazine you want.
Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed Long Magnum Action donor rifle to build from.
Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed Long Magnum Action and build from scratch.

Price all of these options, a little homework and see where you stand. Many of us have found that tearing down a perfectly good rifle to build something different is costly. in the end, for just a handful of dollars more you could have two rifles.

hereinaz
04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
Thanksherinaz, One way you could determine the cost of your build is to do a spreasheet or list of parts.
Your build will need:

1. Magnum Bolt head
2. Stock for Blind Stagger feed magazine or stock for custom bottom metal
3. 7mm blind magazine and follower or custom bottom metal and DB magazine.
4. 7mm Barrel
5 Your rifle stripped

Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed 7mm Rem Mag rifle with the type of magazine you want.
Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed Long Magnum Action donor rifle to build from.
Or:
Purchase a Centerfeed Long Magnum Action and build from scratch.
(http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?41470-hereinaz)
Price all of these options, a little homework and see where you stand. Many of us have found that tearing down a perfectly good rifle to build something different is costly. in the end, for just a handful of dollars more you could have two rifles.
Robinhood is right, for a few hundred or thousand dollars more you can have two or a dozen Savages. And, it happens all the time...

[emoji2]

Robinhood
04-14-2017, 04:27 PM
The biggest questions is verifying that I can use the long action for the 7mm mag, and if I can convert the side detachable magazine to a bottom detachable magazine.

What you have, if I'm not mistaken is a Stagger Feed(A.K.A. SF) action. The action screw spacing is the same on both the Center Feed (CF) and the older SF. With regards to the bottom/ mag port of the SF, the opening is machined differently than the newer CF action. This poses problems with factory magazines. I personally can't help you with aftermarket magazines that may work with SF but someone else might be able to. There are several in business that make them and I think that maybe the AICS magazines work for both but i am not sure.

EDIT: CDI can provide you with a tactical setup for about $306 for a 5 rd setup and $356 for a 10rd setup.

idunham
04-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Robinhood is right, for a few hundred or thousand dollars more you can have two or a dozen Savages. And, it happens all the time...

[emoji2]

Ok, i get that. So i'll change my plan. I'll turn the 30-06 into a .270, and keep an eye out for a mag action.

Now as far as removing the side detach mag, it seems - from Robinhoods analysis - that this could be extremely pricey. But if i got a new stock for it, would it easily convert to a center feed?

big honkin jeep
04-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Or you could change out the barrel to .338 Federal and get 7 mag energy levels with a simple barrel swap, a 338-06 would exceed the 7 mag if you really want some punch. Yeah maybe not as flat but plenty hard hitting.

idunham
04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
I had thought about that. But i wanted something that could be considered more 'long range' than the .338 federal.