PDA

View Full Version : .308 Savage 99F

magothy1
04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Hello gents, new to the forum and this rifle. It's a serial number just over the one million mark, in very nice shape. I've only shot some Fed. Gold Medal Match in it so far, sighting in the scope. It seems to like that ammo. The previous owner said it did well with Varget and 165 gr Hornady bullets, and I see from googling around that lots of folks like the 160 gr bullets for these. Is that due to the twist ? I was thinking 150 gr Partitions would be a good pig load, but my thinking has been known to lead me astray. I'm not at all interested in wringing the last 100 fps out of this nice old rifle. Anyone have experience with 150's in these ?

Thanks in advance, been enjoying reading the stuff on this forum. Looks to be a level headed bunch.

Steve in SC

DragonDJ11
04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
I have a 99E in 308. It shot the 150gr very accurately but the cases did not like to eject with those rounds. The 168gr were by far the most accurate and reliably functioning in mine. That was with factory ammo. I was going to go ahead and load 150gr for myself as I found more options at a lower price. I was just going to keep it at on the lower end of the range and keep pressures lower. I ended up getting 168s locally for better than anything I found online.