PDA

View Full Version : Hornady 4DOF ballistic program

SageRat Shooter
04-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone here has read or seen the new ballistic program that Hornady recently released. (4 Degrees of Freedom).... I just read an article in G & A about it. It uses a drag model as apposed to a BC model. Supposedly it's more accurate for firing solutions past 600 yards. I just ran a theoretical solution thru my Strelok app and the 4DOF. At 1000 yards, I had a difference of 2 clicks more on the Strelok than the 4DOF. It is all theoretical for me, as I still haven't trued my drops on my Strelok app.

Anybody have any thoughts on the "new" ballistic program? Has anyone actually used it yet in real world, that can validate it's accuracy?

stomp442
04-11-2017, 02:14 PM
I have messed with it a bit but only to check it against my applied ballistics app. I come up with some pretty different numbers between the two. For example, if I input my data from my applied ballistics app for my 6mm XC and the Berger 105gr Hybrid into the Hornady calculator I am getting 2 minutes difference at 1000 yards 24.0 moa vs 26.19. I know the applied ballistics app is right on as I use it all the time so I don't know where the extra drag is coming from. The problem I have with the Hornady calulator is that it has a limited library of bullets to choose from and if your particular bullet isn't in that libraray there is no inputs for your bullet info namely the BC and which BC, G7 or G1. The other problem I have is when using the bullet library it doesn't fill in the form factor category and defaults to 1.0. I feel like if they are going to limit you to a bullet library then all specifications for that bullet should be automatically input into the program. Most shooters know the BC of the bullet they are shooting but few know the form factor for that bullet. In this particular instance the actual form factor is .925. I have to adjust the form factor down to .90 in the Hornady calculator to get me close at 24.43 moa. I am not overly impressed with the Hornady calculator overall but thats just me.

SageRat Shooter
04-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info Stomp. It was just something I recently read and was wondering if it's really "that much better" than or current BC based app calculators... Like I said, my theoretical solutions between 4DOF and Strelok was only 2 clicks (and I haven't trued my Strelok yet)... I'd also prefer having a portable (phone app) version if I was going to use it regularly....

stomp442
04-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm sure it's a fine calculator I just haven't had it match up with anything I am currently using. You can always go to the web page on your phone and use it that way too.

Rob01
04-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info Stomp. It was just something I recently read and was wondering if it's really "that much better" than or current BC based app calculators... Like I said, my theoretical solutions between 4DOF and Strelok was only 2 clicks (and I haven't trued my Strelok yet)... I'd also prefer having a portable (phone app) version if I was going to use it regularly....

The Hornady 4DOF is set up best for the Hornady bullets so trying to use it for others will probably be off a little. Used with Hornady bullets it's very close as it was built around their doppler testing of their bullets. There are always going to be slight differences between any program and what you actually shoot due to conditions and also not all scopes track 100% on but if using Hornady bullets the 4DOF is an excellent choice and works well.

There is a mobile version in the works. Not sure when it will be out though.

SageRat Shooter
04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Rob01;404487There is a mobile version in the works. Not sure when it will be out though.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I plan on shooting the ELD-X so hopefully they will have that mobile version out soon. I will give it a try when they do. If for no other reason then to have 2 calculators.