PDA

View Full Version : Help with 308 loading issue

DragonDJ11
04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Ok, I am loading 308 rounds for my Savage 99 lever action. I have read both that you need to full length size and that you can neck size only for this rifle. So I went with only neck sizing and maybe that was my whole problem.
The cases used were previously new rounds that were fired from my rifle and worked perfectly the first time.
So the prep, I went by the book the way I understood it. The way I read everything was that neck sizing did not change case length like full length sizing would. and I had a number of cases that were all just short of Max case length of 2.015. So I did not trim down.
I neck sized and then added primer, powder (beam scale measured every load), bullet seated to 2.750 to make sure mag clearance was not an issue.
Using Hornady 168 gr spbt rounds.
All of the above stayed the same I had four rounds for 5 different powder tests.
The problem I ended up with is that many of the rounds did not completely chamber when closing the lever. I could really squeeze on the lever and close it, but I am certain that it was hitting something and compacting the round. I did not have calipers available to see what was happening at that point.
All in all did not get to test out like I had wanted. Anyone tell me where I am messing up in this regard.
Thanks

Robinhood
04-11-2017, 12:38 PM
If you are using a Lee Collet Die you may have set it up incorectly. Put some magic marker on the bullet and around the neck and shoulder then chamber and eject. Look to see any drag marks.

DragonDJ11
04-11-2017, 12:53 PM
That is what I am using. I set it up per instructions and it seemed to work correctly. I'll have to load up a new one and do this check. What would possibly be set up incorrectly?

Mr.Hollywood
04-11-2017, 01:32 PM
This very easily could be a sizing issue, seating length issue, or a crimp issue (if you are applying one).

These are fairly simple things to diagnose. I would suggest you pickup a reloading manual and read up on the issue. These are all items covered very well in any reputable reloading manual.

DragonDJ11
04-11-2017, 01:50 PM
I will read up on it. It just came up yesterday and I have not had a chance to sit down and read the manuals I have since returning home from the range. Just thought I could get some opinions from others who may have had similar issues.

Robinhood
04-11-2017, 11:45 PM
If the die is screwed in too far it can drive the shoulder body junction out of spec. The Magic Marker trick might have shown you this.

Deadshot2
04-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Did you crimp your rounds using he seating die?

This is a major cause of the problem you described. When the crimp is applied when using the seating die to seat AND crimp at the same time, the crimp is being applied as the bullet is still moving into the case.

Unless all cases are the exact same length more or less crimp is applied, depending on which direction the length is. Long=more crimp, Short = Less crimp.

When too much crimp is applied the shoulder is often de-formed just enough to cause the case to hang up in the chamber just before the bolt is fully in battery. A major hassle in an AR-15 because you only find out when the round won't fire. Then it's a fun game you have to play, holding the charging handle while pretending you are launching a rifle grenade from an M-1. Assume the same position and while pulling back the charging handle, hit the ground with the buttstock.

With bolt actions one can usually close the bolt and force the case into the chamber using the cam of the locking lugs.

In your lever action, you are merely doing the same with a different mechanism.

If you want to keep crimping (assuming you are already), invest in a Lee Factory Crimp Die and crimp in a separate process. The Lee FCD is a collet type die that applies the crimp wihout the possibility of distorting the shoulder and is more forgiving if cases aren't exactly the same length.