PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 build having bolt problems

twchristian
04-11-2017, 12:52 AM
I have Stevens 200 that was originally a .223, converted it to a .338 federal with a McGowan barrel. I changed out the magazine box, follower, bolt head and front baffle, using the ejector and extractor from the original .223 bolt head. I installed the barrel, set the headspace so that the bolt closes on the 1.630 GO gauge, but will not close on the 1.634 NO GO gauge, bolt handle will rotate slightly but not close down. When I try and chamber a round the bolt will not close, seems like the case will not slip under the extractor. I removed the extractor from the bolt and it chambers a round just fine. My question is, are there different extractors for the 223 bolt head and 308 sized bolt head? Any advice in appreciated!

JW
04-11-2017, 06:46 AM
I think they were different in the past, The length of my first 223 is longer than the other calibers I have
The new ones I have ordered in the past have all been shorter too
Now I think they are all the same length
Not sure if that will be you problem though until you try another extractor.
Do you have another rifle that you could try using the extractor from?
Jack

Robinhood
04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
If your extractor hangs out to far into the counterbore of the bolthead the you probably need to change the extractor. Do you know how to post pictures?

hereinaz
04-11-2017, 09:42 PM
I once had a bolt that was stubborn to close because the baffle was catching so it would not close. It was frustrating, but I finally figured it out. I moved the spring washer between the baffle and bolt and it went away.

Anyhow, why would it close on the go gauge but not your cartridge? Is the go gauge the same size? Does the cartridge slide in the bolthead outside of the gun?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

twchristian
04-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Got it figured out, the extractor was the wrong one. It was too long and would not allow the cartridge to slide into the bolt face, put a new one in and it works good. Got it all together now I first need to go shoot it!