PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Savage 110 BA Stealth .300 win mag in Germany

Bull56
04-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Hi there,

I'm from Germany and actually living in Germany. I ordered a Savage 110 BA Stealth chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum.
It seems like I'm one of a hand full of Savage Stealth owners in Germany... Most people here get crazy on the Ruger PR in .308.
Here we don't have 6.5 ammo, we have big problems to get our ammo and we even cannot get AP bullets.
Also I will shoot the Stealth on 50 meters (55 yards) targets, crazy stupid as it is, and maybe at the end of the year we can shoot at 300m targets.
We have actually no long range shooting options in our region, I need to travel to Switzerland, Austria or Italy to shoot 1000 or more yards.
The laws are really strict here, also we cannot get silencers for our sports rifles.

However I wanted to ask what is the best way to break in the barrel of the 300 Stealth (normally we don't practice this in Germany, but I want to!)
And I want to modify the rifle to get amazing results. Which bipod will fix on the Stealth and which modifications are useful? I also like the big box muzzle breaks like on the Barrett M107 or the Steyr HS50 and not the normal rounded ones? What about a better buttstock with a small monopod?
Also we have the law in Germany that if you buy a gun in for example .45 ACP you can after change the barrel to 9x19 without law problems.
So is it possible to change the chamber/barrel of the 110 BA Stealth to a .308 Winchester? We pay up to 6 dollars for one .300 Winchester Magnum shot :D so 6 bucks for a bang on a 55 yards papertarget :rockon:

By the way, the Savage is my first own gun. Before I just shot a lot of pistols and 22lr rifles, also the Mauser K98K in 57IS, a Heckler & Koch G28, MR556, a nice old M1. I love rifles with big bang and big recoil :)

Ask me if you didn't understand me and give me a littlebit support, I don't know everything in English regarding guns ;)

Kind regards, Jan

RustyShackle
04-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Welcome to savage shooters! There is a plethora of information available on the forum about modifying savage rifles. Yes it's possible to modify to .308, although not sure if the laws regarding importing firearm parts?
Clean the barrel well before firing the first time, then for break-in just shoot and enjoy! Clean after or if accuracy starts to degrade.

Cheers

Bull56
04-11-2017, 05:12 AM
How I have to intend the first barrel cleaning? Just with a copper brush or how?

Kind regards!

bearcatrp
04-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the forum. I was stationed over there from 92-95. Lived by landstuhl hospital. I know our laws are very tight regarding firearms. As for cleaning, everyone has there own way and opinions. Some say shoot 1 round, run a patch, repeat while some say do it every 10 rounds. Me, after a good cleaning and basically soaked the barrel, would shoot 10 rounds, run a patch soaked, repeat. One thing to mention, run your rod with brush and patches one way, from the rear to the front, remove brush or patch. After 100 rounds, then you can clean normally to your liking. What part of Germany do you live in? Have drove around the country on my off time to visit many places. Really enjoyed my time there.

RC20
04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Jan: Welcome to the group and darned good to have a fellow German enthusiast even though my side emigrated in various times around the 1900s to the US.

If you do a bit of an internet search, you will find an amazing spread of ideas on the right way to break a barrel in.
My best one was form a site that said "we don't have any method, but as everyone asks us, here is what we came up with"

I don't think there is a wrong way. Shooting it a bit 5-20 rounds, and cleaning it seems to work as well as 1 shot and cleaning. I have yet to read anything that says cleaning it after each shot hurts anything, maybe not a help but won't hurt.

As for a caliber switch I am going to recommend something more regional and check your ammo supplies and see how it works.

Do keep in mind, if you go from a magnum (like yours) to a different rim, you have to change the bolt head.

Go from a long magnum round to a shorter round and the magazine is not going to be right (works for me as I single shoot but just something to be aware of)

Also a 300 WM is going to shoot a barrel out in 1500 rounds or so depending on how hot the ammo is. So thinking ahead is a good idea.

Do you or can you reload? Some of the 30 caliber rounds such as 7.5 can be loaded up to some very similar ballistic to a 300 WM.

What I think would work for your shooting better when you change the barrel is 8mm Mauser, 6.5 x 55 Sweed, maybe 7.5 Swiss (my fondest and one I am building on a Savage)

You have a very good barrel maker there in Loathar Walther that does those in Savage Pre Fit. They offer a huge variety of chambering's. Some of those pre fits may be standard for Europe. Mine is not so it cost me a bit more for the 7.5 Swiss ($525 US)

http://www.lothar-walther.com/460.php

I don't know Mauser or Sweed Rim sizes, I do know the 7.5 Swiss is a bit bigger than our next down standard head (30-06/308 and the family those are off of).
I had to use a drermal tool to open my bolt head up to accommodate the 7.5 Swiss case. For me not a problem as I do it all the time on my job. Someone who does not do it? 7.5 is also smaller than a Mangum though I don't know if that is enough to cause issues. I don't have magnum bolt head to try it with.

Those calibers I would think are more readily available. I believe the 7.5 Swiss in the GP11 round is readily avail in Switzerland for their target shooting.

All of those I listed are good for 1000 meter ranges (as would be 30-06 and that's a good option as well if ammo is avaiblabe)

Bull56
04-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Hi, back again.

Interesting, everytime I write in US Forums for cars or guns someone writes that he was in Germany as a soldier :P But actually I never was in the US...

However I guess after 1500 shots I will sell the gun anyways and buy a bigger sniper rifle.

Nice to here that the barrel break in isn't this much of a problem, as long as you care a littlebit.

Our shooting community in Germany is really small and we have 10 times more illegal guns than legal guns - but nobody talks about it.
To get my Savage into documents I needed a psychological test, I have to be free of any problems with the police in my past (even speeding tickets can be a problem!), I have to continously shoot in a shooting community for over 1 year, I need a document that I have a need in shooting sports for this caliber and I need to do an exam with 200 out of 2000 questions regarding gun handling and gun laws in Germany.
And if something happens like a terrorism attack, every politician talks about stronger gun laws, but nobody says that these again happened with illegal guns from eastern Europe.. Crazy, isn't it?
German government says that only the state has the rights to have the ability to physically hurt people with weapons - so they want to keep the legal guns low.For example, if I own a legal gun (that always has to be in a safe for the gun and a special safe for the ammo in Germany) and someone breaks into my house, wants to kill my family, I will end up in prison if I shoot this killer with my legal gun. On the other hand, if I have an illegal gun at home next to my bed, I can take the killer down when he has a knife or another weapon in his hand. Reason ist, because my legal gun always has to be unloaded in the safe and even my family is not allowed to know the combination of the safe and they courts say that people with legal guns did an exam for her WBK (Waffen-Besitz-Karte/Weapon-Ownership-Paper) and that they know the laws regarding guns and retards with illegal guns don't know the laws for guns. And you have to be really careful here if you have a WBK, because this gives the police the rights to get into your house (without any questions) just to proof if your weapons are stored right in their safe's. Now for example a gang banger without a job is running around in town with his illegal pistol and the police catches him: courts say that taking the illegal weopon from him is enough punishment, because the gang banger doesn't have much money and bought the gun for much money!

So if you ever get into a discussion with friends about curious gun laws in your US State, keep in mind that most States in the US have really gun friendly laws! :D

The shooting community here is from old military guys, hunters (also really strict hunting laws here - I have to pay 1200$ if I shoot a rat on my own ground with an airgun...) and guys like me that are gun fans - love the competition and love a bang. I'm a wheelchair driver, because someone kicked me off my motorcycle when I was 17 yo and broke my backbone, I have a lot of stress and pain every day. But when I'm on the shooting range I just forget every problem and just concentrate on the target. I love rifle sniping because I look through my scope, focus on my whole body, my breath, my muscles and one second feels like a minute and then the final slight straight triggerpull and again bullseye! :D Same on the racetrack, I love my cars and the racetrack ;)

Now that was a lot about me and a lot about gun laws in Germany.

Today I asked my gunshop and the Stealth didn't come with todays delivery. But they have laser cartriges for quick scope setup, have a good bipod for me that is radial and axial movable, can order Muzzlebreaks for me and they can order custom buttstocks for me. My scope is a Walther PRS 4-24x50 IGR that I before used on my air rifle for training. not a really good one but rated for the .300 WM.

Can someone recommend a really good buttstock that is fully adjustable with an adjustable monopod? Maybe one that I can also fix on an AR-15 based rifle like the SIG SAUER M716 Patrol and so on?

Kind regards from Germany and excuses for my english, I have no translator or correction tool in use on my notebook ;)

Edit: How to upload photos here?

RC20
04-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Jan: Its an interesting world. While I am maybe (likely) something of an outlier, I am not against a good background check as well as a phycology test.

Per our constitution and is listed as a Right in it. Same as Free Speech. Of course then the battle beings on if there is any control of that right. appreciate reading the laws and issue in your part of the world.

My nephew also served over there and loved it.

While it used to be stolen guns, now its legal guns used to commit at least some of the mass shootings. One nut case stole the gun from his mother who knew he was a nut case but left him access to the gun (he killed her so that took care of her end, sadly 17 ? children dead)

I am neither advocate for government nor do I think its needs to be totally gone, a balance. I have ideas but don't know if they would work.

And as in your case, when there is a huge hole in the laws all you can do is scratch your head and ponder the oddity of human existence. Having been on mechanical design committees (elected officials in this case) some of the most bizarre things come out.

We just had a (US reference) come to Jesus on an air use. 105 max, so no we will not test at 120 psi (allows for pressure drop through fittings and hoses) for 90 pis or less at the end use , sorry guys, we can't set it there.

Why not? Not allowed, damaged air tools over 90 psi, against safety policy. If I set a regulator above that I loose my jog.

When did this come up? Its always been 120 psi. I am not allowed to ask them if they got their Mechanical License from Sear and Robuck (US joke for mickey mouse license). They should know, its a standard, written in stone, 11th Commandment, though shall not use air tools with PSI over 90 at the tool.

We brought it up from the start, you never changed that.

We don't remember that (20 meetings so far?)

Can you send us the document for that?

Once its written down, unless you shoot it, grind it up, erase it, use drugs to erase memoires and then stab the thing with a wooden stake (aka kill the Vampire) then it lives forever. And that's just a small example.

Frankly I have come to the conclusion society is somewhat functionally insane.

I grew up in the Wilds of Alaska. Guns were a way of life. Also strict reasonability and accountable . My mom took my gun right away when I violated one of the rules. 2 years. No one was in immediate danger (phew) but I was handling it wrong (loaded).

I have a friend at the range, he shoots early and leavers. He is really a vey nice guy, much nicer than I am. As he puts it, I don't want to be here when the guys with their hats on sideways show up. He is not prejudices , he is describing an attitude. I was teaching a friend to shoot (she is a serious liberal by the way) and we had 4 of those type show up. Gun handling all wrong and dangerous. Yes mam, that is not how you are supposed to do it, in that case I talked to the Range Master, can you keep a close eye on them. I don't care what color they are but they are sloppy with those guns.

One of the balance items is the large number of kids who shoot themselves or more often a friend or even their parents with guns not locked up in the house.

As one of our writers put it, no matter where you put it, they will find it, they will find the ammo and they will put the two together.

I don't think we would have as kids, but we never found nor looked for the guns. My dad was a smaller guy, but he was a WWII vet with that what they call a 1000 yard stare and you did not mess with him. He was not meant, but boy when he said don't do that, you did not do that. Kids now not so much thought I know people who train their kids as seriously as I was.

Why would you not switch to a different caliber barrel? Can you get Mauser 8mm (I know there are like 3 offerings in that) 6.6 Seed or 7.5 x 55 Swiss (GP11)?

RC20
04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Photos

Here is the link:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?20418-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

Not easy to find.

bearcatrp
04-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Bigger sniper rifle? Your good to go as far as fire power and distance. With your law restrictions, am surprised they let you buy that. You can get the biggest, baddest rifle built. Its worthless unless the person behind it know how to use it. Practice allot and learn it. Only way you folks will ever get those laws changed is get younger folks in office. But your in the euro zone so all those states together make the laws. As far as I am concerned, that euro zone crap shouldn't have ever happened. England is smart leaving it. Sorry to hear about your accident. Back issues suck. Had surgery on mine that made it worst. Good luck with your shooting. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bull56
04-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Lost my Savage virginity today, but should have taken the 228 for more bang :D
This really is a sub 1/2MOA Rifle, awesome!

Here you have it in 4K UHD - two shots(GoPro Hero 5 Black):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eOQmj5mfAg