PDA

View Full Version : 243AI seating depth

bobcat30
08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
started loading my akeley and was curious as to what grain bullets aguy has to start jammin in the lands?

Eric in NC
08-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Depends on the throat in your barrel.

Yotewhacker
09-10-2010, 07:51 AM
started loading my akeley and was curious as to what grain bullets aguy has to start jammin in the lands?

Are you referring to when you are fire forming brass to help keep the case tight?

Joe O
09-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Depends on the length of your throat.I found that my 243AI could seat a 95gr Sie Match King a long way before the ogive touched the lands.You need to determine it for every different bullet.OAL will vary,but base of case to ogive should be close to the same.My barrel had very little freebore with the lands engaging about .1 in front of the chamber(neck).I say ,"HAD" because it is getting rebarreled (don't ask),so will work it up over again when I get the rifle back.

GabbyM
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Your C.O.L. will change about every 200 rounds down the pipe on a 243. I use a Stoney Point gauge and Sinclair comparator and all that. But you can measure a bullet dropped in the bore with jerry rigged rods. I used to just seat a bullet out long. Chamber it. Then measure the rifling scratch with calipers and a magnify glass. Whatever the scratch length is will be a rough + contact datum point. For a while.