PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Westpoint Model 949 16GA

Nick D
08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
I recently picked up a shotgun from my mom's place that she didn't want around. It's a Savage Arms Westpoint Model 949 16GA break-action single-barrel shotgun. I can find absolutely nothing about this gun online, and know little to nothing of guns in general. I went today to see about getting some cleaning supplies and see what kinds of ammo were out there and ended up leaving with an inherent need to do more research.

Can anyone share any info on this gun? I don't know a thing other than what's stamped into the side and can't really even find a place to start. I thought about contacting Savage Arms but since the website has no e-mail due to no time to respond I wanted to try here first. Any information I can get would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick D

Nick D
08-29-2010, 03:46 PM
No one knows anything? A year, another place to look, anything? I'm coming up pretty dry searching for info.

The stamp on the side of the barrel reads:

WESTPOINT MODEL 949
-----SAVAGE ARMS-----
WESTFIELD, MASS. U.S.A.

There is stamp on the other side of the gun just above the trigger that reads:

P350648

which I assume is a serial number.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Marinevet0351
10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't really know a lot about it... I just picked up one my dad had since he was a kid... His is a 410 gauge but I know it was bought new when he was about 8 so it's 42 years old... Can't really tell you much else right now but if I find anything I will share it with you!

BillPa
10-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Westpoint was the store brand name for Cottor & Company. I have an old " 410 Series K" in '06, year of manufacture unknown. In days gone by manufactures would re-brand products for hardware stores, large retail stores (Sears) and etc. According to the link your WP 949 is a Savage 944

http://www.gun-data.com/cotter_company_westpoint.html

Bill

Krissa
04-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Nick I have the exact same question. I have the identical same shotgun with a serial no. of P359378. I would appreciate it if anyone could help out with the age and value of it.

Thanks,
Krissa

Mad Dog
04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Unknown on a date but you could look for a Savage date code on it. It's a small circle with a number and a letter stamped inside of it. If it came out of the Savage factory it might have a Savage date code even though it was built for another company.

If I remember right the P series serial numbers I have seen were rimfires that came out of the Ontario Canada factory but I don't recall them ever making shotguns there.