PDA

View Full Version : Failure to fire - 10FCP-K

nightram
04-09-2017, 08:27 AM
I have had a squiz around the forum, read the Faq and put in search terms like accutrigger/failure/jamming but to no avail.

I have had the fcp for about 6 years now but it is starting to have a trait that is getting worse.

After putting a round in the chamber (after firing) the accutrigger remains immovable and the trigger is not able to be fired. If you cycle the bolt up then down (without pulling back) the accutrigger becomes able to be moved and the trigger can be fired resulting in a successful mechanical action.

What is failing here and how can I fix it?

Is it the firing pin not cocking and the bolt needing a pull apart (not that I know if that can be done) or is the trigger much faulty?

Only happens after firing so I can't bench replicate it. My fcp is my pride and joy out of all my savage rifles.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Deadshot2
04-09-2017, 10:53 AM
It sounds like the firing pin is dropping when you close the bolt as the trigger is not resetting.

I'd take the action off the stock and give the trigger assy a good flush with lighter fluid and blow out with compressed air. That may well fix your problem. Over time lube and dirt accumulate in various places like the trigger assembly. Some lubes, when they age, become like a sticky glue that keeps small pieces from moving as they should. Remember, trigger springs are purposely light so you don't have to use two fingers to pull the trigger.

As for re-lubing the trigger, I prefer nothing more than a drop of CLP, Gun Butter, or 3-N-1 oil right on the sear itself. Nowhere else. There is so little movement and the parts are hardened so wear is not a real issue in a trigger.

boostless
04-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I would also recommend a tear down and clean of the bolt as well just to be sure.

hereinaz
04-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the sear is not dropping into the notch in the trigger. Cleaning the trigger assembly and bolt is where I would start.

RC20
04-09-2017, 02:21 PM
All good thoughts:

I would check the clearance around the rear of the trigger assembly around the ledge you can see when you take it apart.

It has all the hallmarks of a jamming, I had one that I tracked down that had those exact symptoms (note that symptoms are not causes so many causes can have the same symptoms)

Also, when lubing a trigger, if its going to get cold, use a synthetic oil or something thin like kerosene or diesel.

Any oil is going to get stiff, including sewing machine etc.

Same for the bolt interior parts .

nightram
04-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Thank you all, I will try all of the above to rectify this.

Robinhood
04-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Have you tried tightening the trigger spring. It may need more preload to get the trigger to catch the sear.

nightram
04-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Update, pulled the bolt apart. A little over lubricated bit no dirt or rust.

Continuing with other suggestions.

holescreek
04-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I've had that happen several times on my .308 model 10FCP-K since I changed it to top bolt release. I didnt shoot it much before so I'm not sure if it did it before the switch or not. I know when there is no play in the trigger safety that I just have to raise and lower the bolt handle to reset it. It's not something I can make happen intentionally, it occurrs once per range trip on average. It's not been bothersome so far and I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

Erik_J
04-11-2017, 05:39 PM
I noticed this on my 12FV. I tried cleaning, played with action screw torque, different stocks, etc. , problem stayed with it. I progressively increased the trigger pull weight screw (?), now it is good most of the time and only 'locks up' once in a while. Still frustrating as I would really like a lighter trigger pull AND for it work 100% of the time. The only time it seems to 'lock up' is at the range loading and firing live ammo. I have cycled it many, many times, with and without empty cases at home and I can never replicate the issue.

My 10FCP-K's accutrigger has always been perfect, not a single problem. Could some just be bad?