PDA

View Full Version : Confused on bedding a center feed

10ring
08-24-2010, 08:43 PM
I did research and read a lot of post's on this and everyone says to pull the magazine and bed it and put the magazine back in but how do you get the receiver at the right height for the L clip for the magazine when it isn't there? maybe a picture would help because the receiver only makes contact with the L clip by the rear screw hole or is there a way to bed with the magazine in and not to fill it up with epoxy. Sorry if this has already has come up but I couldn't find the thread.

Thanks

jpdown
08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I tape the magazine in the correct position to the action using a piece of business card to keep the magazine from touching the bolt. I then put a small ball of epoxy putty on the bottom corners of the magazine. and attach the stock to the action pressing the epoxy into the bottom of the magazine well. It will harden and form the foundation for your magazine. I clean up the excess with a dremel tool and put Velcro on the sides to hold firmly in place if the well is oversized. I throw away the L-clip.

10ring
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
OK, I wasn't talking about bedding the magazine. I was talking about bedding the action and the magazine is a very tight fit in the stock, no room on the sides. I hope this helps.

jpdown
08-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Sounds like you are bedding a center feed stock. So the magazine well is fairly tight. In this case, just remove the magazine, tape the bottom and sides of the magazine well, put release agent on L-clip and action, use 4" long 1/4" x 28 bolts with heads cut off screwed into the action as guides for stress-free placement of the action into the bedding. I put 2 rounds of tape around the them so that they center in the stock holes. They will stick out the bottom of the stock and can be hit with a hammer break the action free of the bedding and then screwed out so you can easily remove the action. Any bedding that is squeezed into the magazine well can be slowly removed with a dremel.

Aim4gold
08-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Did you review the Article "Stock Bedding 101" at http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stock%20Bedding%20101
It may answer your question?

10ring
08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
I posted before I got the magazine out of the stock and when I got it out I figured it out. Stock bedding 101 doesn't really explain the center feed.
Thanks