PDA

View Full Version : Recoil lug alignment?

taylorce1
04-06-2017, 08:07 PM
So how do you align a recoil lug on a barrel swap using the recoil lug for the Accustock? Will the Remington parallel lug alignment too that PT&G sells work? Or does anyone sell an aftermarket lug that uses the alignment notch in the reciever?

Robinhood
04-07-2017, 12:44 AM
The Accustock or any other Savage specific recoil lug aftermarket or stock has the alignment pin for a Savage Action. Check to make sure that it seats completely against the action before you assemble it.

taylorce1
04-07-2017, 07:30 AM
I bought this recoil lug through Midway and is supposed to be OEM, it doesn't have a pin to fit the alignment notch on the receiver. I don't know if there was a change to the recoil lug and I got a NOS part, but when I searched for my answer I didn't find a different OEM recoil lug with an alignment pin. PT&G has a pinned recoil lug with parallel sides, but their recoil lug alignment tool is cheaper than buying two new lugs since I'm putting two rifles in Accustocks and have recoil lugs already.

Zero333
04-07-2017, 02:14 PM
I've installed 2 Hollands recoil lugs and they only have a very thin pin in them that I had to grind down cause it's too long in the first place. Centering it was a bit of trial and error since when the barrel nut is torqued down the recoil lug moves with it.

Trial and error. The pin served as a indicator on where the center was in the receiver notch.

I've seen a barrel vice (or receiver vice, can't remember) that had a slot cut into it to keep the recoil lug aligned. It was for Rem700's and I'm not sure if it would work on a smaller accustock recoil lug.

taylorce1
04-07-2017, 02:30 PM
I think I might give the M700 recoil lug alignment tool a try, if it doesn't work I'll save it for my Remingtons in case I ever do a Remage barrel.

hereinaz
04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Trial and error is how I did one aftermarketTrial and error is how I did one aftermarket.

I have what I think is a factory Accu stock lug and it does not have a pin.

Robinhood
04-07-2017, 08:45 PM
I think I might give the M700 recoil lug alignment tool a try, if it doesn't work I'll save it for my Remingtons in case I ever do a Remage barrel.

Might as well. You purchased a Remington recoil lug. Or you could drill it for a pin. but you might need some layout skills.

taylorce1
04-08-2017, 11:58 PM
Might as well. You purchased a Remington recoil lug. Or you could drill it for a pin. but you might need some layout skills.

I don't know why you think I bought a Remington recoil lug. I bought a Savage 10/110 standard shank recoil lug for accurail. (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1778238465/savage-arms-standard-shank-recoil-lug-10-110-series-with-accu-rail-steel)

foxx
04-09-2017, 07:57 AM
The Accustock recoil lugs don't have the pins. It's just a matter of trial and error.

hereinaz
04-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't know why you think I bought a Remington recoil lug. I bought a Savage 10/110 standard shank recoil lug for accurail. (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1778238465/savage-arms-standard-shank-recoil-lug-10-110-series-with-accu-rail-steel)
I bought a lug off ebay, "savage compatible" and it was a Remington...

Robinhood
04-09-2017, 12:09 PM

My bad, I did not remember that. The only one I have left was made from a standard recoil lug and it has the locating tab.

Mark the recoil lug in the center on the rear surface. If using a barrel vise make the assembly up with the screws on top recoil lug up. Snug up the assembly with proper headspace to hand tight with the wrench. Check alignment using both action screw holes. using a small dead blow alluminum or copper hammer tap on the recoil lug to correct any misalignment. Verify and torque. Done deal. That's how I do Remingtons anyway.